Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Revolt of the Marshal's.

For all discussions relating to the coalition campaign of 1812-1814 that led to the defeat of France and Napoleon's exile to Elba.

Revolt of the Marshal's.

Postby Josh&Historyland » October 24th, 2013, 11:24 am

Allot of books say that Marshal Ney lead his compatriots in a "Revolt" saying that famous line at Fontainbleu "The army will follow its generals" it being the last straw that sent Napoleon to Elba. I'd just like to know what Marshals were actually there?

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Re: Revolt of the Marshal's.

Postby Andrew » October 30th, 2013, 8:39 am

After Paris had fallen to the allies, Napoleon concentrated his army and prepared to retake it. The marshals were horrified that Napoleon planned to attack his own capital. Those present were Ney, Oudinot, Macdonald, Lefebvre and Moncey. By this time Marmont, who with Mortier had attempted to defend Paris, had already agreed to take his corps over to the allies, although he was not in communications with the others. Ney was the nominated leader who was first to raise the subject of abdication to Napoleon, who of course famously rejected the call but caved in after learning of Marmont's defection. The film Waterloo appears to have re-enacted the encounter pretty accurately.
Andrew
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Josh&Historyland » October 30th, 2013, 3:37 pm

Thanks Andrew.

Yes the movie did a nice job "I will NOT NOT NOT!" is brilliant, although it includes Marshal Soult in it and has Napoleon using the paraphrase just because you have been beaten by Wellington your afraid of him, the actual line just because you have been beaten by Wellington you think he is a great general but I tell you he is a bad general and the English are bad troops, was said at breakfast at Le Caillou on the 18th June 1815 I believe. I think Napoleon would have been more concearned with the Russians Austrians and Prussians than the British at this stage. Thanks again, it's good to get a firm picture in my head of who was there, do you know of any good books about the 1814 campaign and the end of the war? I've seen "The Rights of Peace" by Adam Zamoyski but I don't know if that's just about Vienna.

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby Andrew » October 30th, 2013, 5:41 pm

If you don't read French, the best are:

Most recent: Andrew Uffindell's Napoleon 1814. Published in 2009. A good general history.
Older: Both available from abebooks.com pretty cheap. I prefer Petre,

Loraine Petre's Napoleon at Bay.
Henry Houssaye's 1814.

A less detailed account, but really well illustrated, is Hourtoulle's 1814 - The Campaign for France, but rather pricey, even second hand.
Andrew
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby unclearthur » October 30th, 2013, 10:02 pm

Josh&Historyland wrote: I've seen "The Rights of Peace" by Adam Zamoyski but I don't know if that's just about Vienna.

Josh.

His 1812 was excellent but a friend (who's a professional book critic in another life) read Rites of Peace and found it dry. Very.

Just thought I'd say.
unclearthur
Veteran Member

Return to War of the Sixth Coalition 1812–1814