Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Field Marshal Mikhail Kutuzov

For all discussions relating to the coalition campaign of 1812-1814 that led to the defeat of France and Napoleon's exile to Elba.

Field Marshal Mikhail Kutuzov

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » February 28th, 2014, 4:48 pm

Field Marshal Mikhail Kutuzov's statue in Brody in western Ukraine was demolished during the past week.

Field Marshal Kutuzov fought successfully against Napoleon troops. He was popular with his troops also because he was one of the few Russian commanders in the Russian army - and one of the best of any nationality.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Re: Field Marshal Mikhail Kutuzov

Postby terry1956 » February 28th, 2014, 7:17 pm

Josh, you are correct.kutuzov was a bright general who could read napoleon very well.as you also said he was shot in the head, the pistol bullet passing behind both eyes.i think I remember seeing a painting of him years back.the painting showed what could of been an old enter wound on his temple and his eyes had a clouded look to them.no wonder he hit the vodka. Michael
terry1956

Postby Josh&Historyland » February 28th, 2014, 10:15 pm

Hi chaps, some error seems to have occurred and the post to which Michael has replied to has disappeared, it's very strange but I will try to recreate it... It went something like this

"I read about that, it's a shame that modern politics has so little respect for hero's. Having said that Kutusov was a hard man to pin down, he swayed between moments of tactical and strategic good sense to being indecisive and lethargic, nevertheless some say Austerlitz might have been very different had Kutusov been listened to. He was certainly made of iron, I believe he was shot twice in the same place, in the head I think, and the doctors said he shouldn't have survived. During the 1812 He was constantly beset by troubles, political backbiting and the agendas of Barclay de Tolly and Prince Bagration forced him to constantly reevaluate his strategy, which in the end proved to be most effective, thanks to his own popularity with his men, his own steadying influence, the resolution of Tsar Alexander to never negotiate with Napoleon while he was on Russian soil, the bravery of Bagration and the reforms of de Tolly, and the fury of the Cossacks. In a particularly moving example of Russian tragic fatality, he died when Napoloen had been kicked out of Russia. To put it another way, with the grand purpose of his life fulfilled the old soldier could finally go to his grave.

Afterwards he was made an icon. He is a central and vital character in Tolstoy's War and Peace, the Tolstoy Family actually inherited his lands when he died in 1813, and this is where our popular perception of him comes from. Then he was made into the perfect example of a Russian hero under the soviet union.

All in all a great man whose memory deserves more than recent events have shown it."

That's what I said, in reply to Michael, thanks I thought it was in the eyes, amazing he survived at all with any sight left. The mystery of the missing post baffles me as Michael had to reply to something, I can't imaging what's happened unless it's a glitch on my end.

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » March 1st, 2014, 8:50 am

Josh&Historyland wrote:He is a central and vital character in Tolstoy's War and Peace, the Tolstoy Family actually inherited his lands when he died in 1813,
Josh.

Kutuzov died without a male heir and one of his daughters was married to a Tolstoy to whom he left his lands.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby Josh&Historyland » March 1st, 2014, 1:10 pm

Thanks Sarah, I didn't know the details.

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Return to War of the Sixth Coalition 1812–1814