Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Vandalism at Barrosa!

For all discussions relating to the Peninsular War of 1808-14.

Vandalism at Barrosa!

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » January 25th, 2013, 2:14 pm

Yesterday I went to the bicentennial monument to pay my respects to the brave lads who fought there in 1811 and was shocked to see the bronze plaque on the monument was missing.
Barrosa Hill monument with bronze plaque 2012.jpg
Barrosa Hill monument with bronze plaque 2012.jpg (42.93 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
Barrosa monument 2013.jpg
Barrosa monument 2013.jpg (51.26 KiB) Viewed 1517 times

The marble sign with text in Spanish, English, French and German had been restored.
Barrosa Hill monument text 2012.jpg
Barrosa Hill monument text 2012.jpg (41.86 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
English text Barrosa.jpg
English text Barrosa.jpg (63.92 KiB) Viewed 1517 times

I hoped the bronze plaque was just away, being restored. But doubted that restoration of the plaque would be needed so soon after the monument's inauguration.

The Chiclana tourist office has confirmed: The bronze plaque has been taken away by strangers and we are awaiting the economic proposal to restore it.

I shouldn't be shocked, it happens all too frequently these days. But I am. And worry that by posting pictures of Napoleonic monuments online, we're aiding and abetting the villains. I suppose the only solution is to not use bronze.

The original or a duplicate of the bronze plaque hangs safely in the Chiclana municipal museum.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Re: Vandalism at Barrosa!

Postby unclearthur » January 25th, 2013, 5:42 pm

Defacing memorials like this is disgusting. There's been a spate of metal thefts over the last 18 months in the UK targeting similar, simply because the plaques are bronze and valuable as scrap.

With what we hear about the state of the Spanish economy I suppose it's not really surprising these days. Still disgusting, though :(
unclearthur
Veteran Member

Postby Dominique T. » January 25th, 2013, 6:42 pm

It happened again !

We've had that so often.

Look here http://napoleon-monuments.eu/MONUMENTSDISPARUS/index.htm

Now that. A shame !

Disgusting. !

I intend to repair the eagle of the 8 Inf. Regt at Waterloo with synthetic resin.

They should consider doing the same.

Nearly identical, much cheaper, and not interesting to steal.
Have a look here :
http://napoleon-monuments.eu/MONUMENTSDISPARUS/Luxembourg.htm#Anloy
Dominique T.

Postby Dominique T. » January 25th, 2013, 6:47 pm

FBC-Elvas, Portugal wrote:I shouldn't be shocked, it happens all too frequently these days. But I am. And worry that by posting pictures of Napoleonic monuments online, we're aiding and abetting the villains. I suppose the only solution is to not use bronze.

The original or a duplicate of the bronze plaque hangs safely in the Chiclana municipal museum.

Sarah

Indeed, the best is not to use bronze.

I sincerly don't think that these people - everyone knows where most of them come from - visit Napoleonic websites like yours or mine to spot monuments to steal. They happen to pass there, then come back at night. If we don't speak about monuments, they - and the people they commemorate - will be forgotten.
Dominique T.

Postby Banker » January 26th, 2013, 2:16 am

It is indeed a disgrace and sadly it is a worldwide issue as we have copper and bronze being stolen left, right and centre in Australia at the moment.

Regards Steve
Researcher of Australians at War and Collector of Victorian Campaign Medals
Banker
Forum Moderator

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » January 26th, 2013, 10:29 am

Dominique T. wrote:I intend to repair the eagle of the 8 Inf. Regt at Waterloo with synthetic resin. They should consider doing the same.

I recommended this to the Chiclana T.O. who said they'd pass on the suggestion. If you know the [Brand] name of a synthetic product being used to replace bronze, please let me know.

The Netherlands now requires scrap metal merchants to pay for bronze, copper etc via a bank and NOT with cash. Difficult to police but the fine is fierce. Another deterrent is to insert a tag, a chemical, that immediately identifies blood copper. Theft of copper cables repeatedly brought trains to a halt in the Netherlands until lately.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby Dominique T. » January 26th, 2013, 11:21 am

The same control applies now to the sale of copper in Belgium and, if I am right, in France.

But there are networks to avoid that. And with the Schengen agreement, it's not difficult to cross the borders, there is no control anymore.

The same on our railway network. Thefts of copper doubled this year. But I prefer that they steel that instead of monuments. The railway cables are replaced within a day, monuments nearly never.

I'll answer your other question in a private message.
Dominique T.

Postby Mark » January 26th, 2013, 4:03 pm

As already said by several members above this act of vandalism is nothing short of disgusting. Sadly many global metal prices are at a high driving such criminal activities.

I doubt posting images of memorials on this or other public forums will increase the risk to the monuments. Local knowledge most likely led to this terrible theft.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby berto » January 26th, 2013, 10:13 pm

always in my prayers I ask the ever meet in my life with a thief "in flagrante" ........... it will make my dream come true?

saludos
berto

Postby OXFORDMON » January 27th, 2013, 10:40 am

Very very sad to hear about this, but as has been said, not all that suprising unfortunately :cry:

Andy
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Peninsular War 1808-14