Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Best book about Badajoz?

For all discussions relating to the Peninsular War of 1808-14.

Best book about Badajoz?

Postby ctrunfree » October 24th, 2016, 11:16 pm

Hi people

I've just finished a great read: Guy Dempsey's Albuera 1811.

I was wondering if there was something equally good which covered the various activities involving Badajoz?
ctrunfree

Re: Best book about Badajoz?

Postby Josh&Historyland » October 24th, 2016, 11:34 pm

If it's the 1812 siege you're after In Hell Before Daylight by Fletcher is a solid choice.

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby Digby » October 25th, 2016, 2:03 am

Josh&Historyland wrote:If it's the 1812 siege you're after In Hell Before Daylight by Fletcher is a solid choice.

Josh.

Yes that was a very good, moving book. I read it a long time ago now.
Digby

Postby ctrunfree » October 25th, 2016, 3:06 am

Thanks chaps, yes it was the 1812 siege I was particularly interested in. My 3g grandfather's regiment (48th Foot) was involved in the storming of the the bastion on 6 April, but they don't get much of a mention in many articles I've read. They lost 4 officers and 32 other ranks killed, and 16 officers and 124 other ranks wounded, according to Ray Foster's article in the Napoleon series.
ctrunfree

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » October 26th, 2016, 1:18 pm

Yes, Flether's Hell before Daylight is a solid choice. I can also recommend the books on http://british-cemetery-elvas.org/reading.html They are mostly about Badajoz and Albuera but mention other recommended Peninsular War books.

Go to Search just above where you read or type a post and search Badajoz to find all the posts from the start of the forum that mention Badajoz. 29 pages full. If you get to Badajoz, don't forget to visit the 2012 monument just outside the fortress walls, which were heavily fought over. The breakthrough came in two places elsewhere which were much less heavily guarded. There's an excellent new museum near the entrance to the castle with a diorama of the Siege.

When you read about the behaviour of the British after the Siege, bare in mind that the same troops had just fought a similar siege at Ciudad Rodrigo where they didn't quite know if the Spanish were for or against them. And they were fed up. Not an excuse for terrible behaviour - officers were killed trying to defend towns people - but a better explanation than that it was 'normal' British behaviour.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Return to Peninsular War 1808-14