Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

So many battles

For all discussions relating to the Peninsular War of 1808-14.

Re: So many battles

Postby janette1169 » November 12th, 2016, 3:52 pm

Hi Andy. Do you have a link to the certificates please? Would love to read them. I think you may be right about the mistake regarding William, I will check again with the person that transcribed the document for me, maybe it was a typing error.
Thanks for pointing that out to me, may have sent me on the wrong path.
Janette
janette1169

Postby Josh&Historyland » November 12th, 2016, 6:42 pm

Here at the NWF we are always happy to try and help as best we can, Janette.

Because Maya and Roncesvalles occured on the same day, confusion is possible.

If the wound was caused by a musket ball, and the limb was not totally carried away by a cannon ball, he'd have either made his way back himself, or with the help of comrades or bandsmen, from the line to where the surgeon had set up a dressing station to the rear of the battalion's position. There due to the severity of the wound he'd have probably been sent farther back to wherever the surgeon general and designated a hospital. There he'd have had to wait in turn for amputation.

For Napoleonic surgery in the British army see the works of Michael Crumplin.
For Talavera, see either Oman, or the Osprey campaign book by Rene Chartrande.

If your only interested in them for research, the works of Oman Are digitalised for free download on Archive.
https://archive.org/details/historyofpeninsu01oman

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » November 13th, 2016, 5:37 pm

There were a lot of battles. I've found Charles Esdaile's The Peninsular War one of the best histories of the most significant battles. David Gates' The Spanish Ulcer is another good history of the PW. Take a look at http://british-cemetery-elvas.org/reading.html for a list of recommended reading.

Two slimmer, highly readable books are:
The Recollections of Rifleman Harris. Christopher Hibbert, ed. Benjamin Harris was a shepherd from Dorset who joined the 95th Rifles and fought in Portugal. Introduction and notes by the historian Christopher Hibbert.
A soldier of the 71st: the journal of a soldier in the Peninsular War. Christopher Hibbert, ed.
First published in 1819, this memoir covers the entire Peninsular War, the Walcheren expedition and the Battle of Waterloo - where this Scot narrowly escaped death.

Happy reading,
Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby jasonubych » November 13th, 2016, 6:44 pm

Hi Janette,

Some links to some reading on the 71st Foot. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1943
They were a very busy battalion during this period, makes for interesting reading.

The medal awarded is interesting, I have the Pension Papers of Three Sergeant John Ross's. One from the parish of Etherton(Edderton) mentions the award of a medal but doesn't not say where it was won. Also his papers suggest he was only promoted to Sergeant in 1814.

Hope this helps a little

Jason
jasonubych
Participating Member

Postby ctrunfree » November 17th, 2016, 2:52 am

Hi Janette

Welcome to the forum also.

Just by way of comparison, my 4g grandfather Richard TAYLOR was wounded by a musket ball to the thigh at the Battle of the Pyrenees. He missed the battles of Nivelle and Orthez, but was back for the Battle of Toulouse (made of stern stuff, us!)

He did spend quite a bit of time in hospital, and was eventually discharged and later awarded a pension.

Good luck with the search!

(BTW, I found Rory Muir's Wellington: The Path to Victory (Vol 1) 1769-1814 to be a good read.

Cheers

Peter
ctrunfree

Previous

Return to Peninsular War 1808-14