Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Heavy Dragoon Uniforms

For all discussions relating to the Peninsular War of 1808-14.

Heavy Dragoon Uniforms

Postby Crimea1854 » November 28th, 2016, 10:13 pm

Well I'm after help again! I'm currently trying to find details of early period British heavy dragoon regiments and their uniforms with little success. I have read that Hamilton Smith produced a watercolour showing the various regimental distinctions, but I've been unsuccessful in finding an image anywhere on the internet, I'd therefore be grateful if someone on the Forum can provide this information (preferably with illustrations).

Martin
Crimea1854

Re: Heavy Dragoon Uniforms

Postby jf42 » November 29th, 2016, 2:35 pm

Crimea1854 wrote:Well I'm after help again! I'm currently trying to find details of early period British heavy dragoon regiments and their uniforms with little success. I have read that Hamilton Smith produced a watercolour showing the various regimental distinctions, but I've been unsuccessful in finding an image anywhere on the internet, I'd therefore be grateful if someone on the Forum can provide this information (preferably with illustrations).

Martin

Martin, you might want to specify the time frame.

" Early period British heavy dragoon regiments" - as in 1793, or when?

Also, do you mean household cavalry, dragoon guards or regiments of dragoons? Do you havea specific regiment in mind?

Although Hamitlon Smith doesnt turn up, there seem to quite a few gateways on google images.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=heavy ... W7vZDsM%3A
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Postby unclearthur » November 29th, 2016, 8:46 pm

I thought Franklin's Napoleonic Uniforms a pretty decent source of cavalry stuff, though not perfect (but what is?) He's done an earlier volume covering the Seven Years War and AWOI but I've not seen that so can't comment.
unclearthur
Veteran Member

Postby jf42 » November 30th, 2016, 11:23 am

unclearthur wrote:I thought Franklin's Napoleonic Uniforms a pretty decent source of cavalry stuff, though not perfect (but what is?) He's done an earlier volume covering the Seven Years War and AWOI but I've not seen that so can't comment.

'Not perfect' indeed. Franklin's works should not be relied on as a source in their own. Impressive though the weight of information appears, there are strange errors.
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Postby Crimea1854 » November 30th, 2016, 2:27 pm

The period I’m interested in is circa 1800 up to the adoption of the new uniform in 1812.

I have now found a copy of Hamilton Smith’s watercolour in WY Carmen’s book ‘British Military Uniforms from contemporary pictures’. From this it looks as if the Dragoon Guards regiments wore the bicorne and wings, where the line dragoons are shown with headgear that Carmen describes as ‘hats or caps without peaks, have a badge in front and a bag at the side’; are these perhaps the ‘watering caps’ I’ve seen mentioned elsewhere? Is it therefore safe to assume that the wings were reserved for the Dragoon Guards Regiments or, as with most things regarding British military dress of the period, this is an over simplification?
Crimea1854

Postby Josh&Historyland » November 30th, 2016, 6:02 pm

They sound indeed like watering caps, certainly from the start of the Spanish campaign to 1812 the Heavies of the line had bicorns, I don't know wether the watering caps... pretty much a shako, were part of normal dress before this.

Osprey has some titles with good illustrations of Heavy Dragoons.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wellingtons-He ... 0850454743
https://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Cavalr ... 1855323648

I must say, the clothing difference between Horse/Life Guard and Heavy Dragoon regiments escapes me, but most illustrations of the pre 1812 uniform shows some species of shoulder wings for both.

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby Crimea1854 » December 1st, 2016, 3:19 pm

Josh

Have taken your advice and ordered the first of the two suggested titles.

Martin
Crimea1854

Return to Peninsular War 1808-14