Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Visiting the Albuera battlefield

For all discussions relating to the Peninsular War of 1808-14.

Visiting the Albuera battlefield

Postby ctrunfree » April 2nd, 2017, 1:27 pm

Hi people

I'm wondering if anyone who has visited the Albuera battlefield recently can tell me if it is still accessible to the public, and if so how to get there from Albuera town (my current belief is that there's turn off to the right off the N435 which would get you pretty close). I'm most interested in seeing the position where the Polish lancers met the far right of the British line.
ctrunfree

Re: Visiting the Albuera battlefield

Postby OXFORDMON » April 3rd, 2017, 4:13 pm

If you head south on the N435 from Albuera, the track I think you mean is indeed on the right opposite the first building you come too. Walk down this track for roughly half a mile and you will be in the middle of the battlefield, look right (north) and a small building on the skyline marks roughly the position of the British firing line, the polish lancers would have swept from left to right, it's not possible to reach the position unfortunately as it's a large vineyard and private property (as is the track but never had any problems if you behave). Look to your left (south) and the land will rise quite steeply and this is Napier's 'fatal hill', very emotive place and people have occasionally found musket balls on the track! Good luck with your visit, I hope this helps a little.

Andy
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby ctrunfree » April 12th, 2017, 9:19 am

Thanks for the tip Andy. I'll let you know how I get on!
ctrunfree

Postby ctrunfree » May 3rd, 2017, 2:22 pm

I managed to get out to Albuera today, a glorious spring day here in Spain. The field around are lush and full of red poppies. Yesterday I went to the excellent Luis de Morales City Museum which has some excellent dioramas of both the Battle of Albuera and the Siege of Badajoz. (I've attached one of the French and Polish cavalry about to collide with Colborne's Brigade, which included in it's ranks my 3 x great grandfather Private Richard Taylor of the 2/48th).

I went via the town of Albuera, stopping by the church and the old bridge, and then took the turn off from the N435 and took the track right across the main part of the battlefield and then turned right, heading north until I was fairly confident I was pretty close to where this collision took place. I was surprised by just how hilly the site is, and consequently how much dead ground there was on the battlefield, which might, together with the storm and the smoke from the battle, explain how the cavalry got so close undetected. I've attached what I think is a photo of where Colborne's Brigade would have been positioned after it swung about to face east. And as it was such a beautiful scene I've added one of Napier's Fatal Hill just for good measure.

Many thanks to everyone on this forum who helped me in my quest!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 4.21.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 4.21.39 PM.png (381.14 KiB) Viewed 182 times
Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 4.20.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 4.20.25 PM.png (488.02 KiB) Viewed 182 times
Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 4.13.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 4.13.33 PM.png (371.71 KiB) Viewed 182 times
ctrunfree

Return to Peninsular War 1808-14