Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Battle of the Duoro:Where has the Plaque Gone?

For all discussions relating to the Peninsular War of 1808-14.

Battle of the Duoro:Where has the Plaque Gone?

Postby ctrunfree » April 11th, 2017, 2:21 pm

I was lucky enough to spend some time today around the Seminary in Porto that was taken by the British in a daring daylight river crossing of the Douro and which proved crucial to Wellington's victory. My 3g grandfather was a Private in the 48th who would have crossed over immediately after the Buffs.

Before I came I read an account in Julian Pagnet's Wellington's Peninsular War (2005) which mentions a plaque, commemorating the battle, on the western side of the building. However, a new tennis court has now been built on the western side of what is now a college run by the Salesians and that area is not accessible to the public. It was hard to see around the fence but I couldn't make out if the plaque was still there.

Does anyone know if it is there, and if not where it has gone? (And I'll try asking the College on their Facebook page).

I have to say the doesn't seem a lot of acknowledgment in Porto of the role of the British in the Peninsular War. Most local accounts seem to give the impression that the heavy lifting was done by the Portuguese. (There is a British lion on top of the Boa Vista memorial, even though all the soldiers depicted at the base are wearing Portuguese uniforms).
ctrunfree

Re: Battle of the Duoro:Where has the Plaque Gone?

Postby ctrunfree » April 12th, 2017, 1:40 pm

Just for any future visitors, I heard back from the College today. They assured me that the plaque was still there on the western wall, although I'm not sure whether the new fence and tennis court will mean it will be permanently off limits to those wishing to view it.
ctrunfree

Return to Peninsular War 1808-14