Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Belem Hospital Lisbon-location

For all discussions relating to the Peninsular War of 1808-14.

Belem Hospital Lisbon-location

Postby ctrunfree » April 13th, 2017, 7:57 am

I'm interested in knowing just where the British hospital in Belem, Lisbon was located. Does anyone know if it was in an actual building, or was it just tents?
ctrunfree

Re: Belem Hospital Lisbon-location

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » April 15th, 2017, 8:10 am

I consulted the Forum's Academic Adviser Nick Lipscombe and this was his reply to your question:

'The British hospital in Belem was originally in part of the Jeronimos complex but was forced out when the Portuguese Emergency Govt complained. Wellington wrote to Brit Amb C. Stuart on 17 Jun 1811 (see WD vol. V. pp. 100-01) in very firm terms asking him to sort the hospital situation out with the regency and suggested that permission be granted to 'allow us to establish the British hospitals in the rope walk at Belem'. This was a piece of grassland immediately onshore from Belem castle which had been used by the Portuguese Royal family (in a tented camp) after the earthquake in Nov 1755. There is no record of a reply but Wellington was likely to have got his way. There were barracks in the area but I think that a tented hospital on the green area by Belem castle is the most likely situation/location.'

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Re: Belem Hospital Lisbon-location

Postby ctrunfree » April 15th, 2017, 9:36 am

Sarah

Thanks very much to you (and Nick!) for taking the trouble to respond. Much appreciated!

I have a question about the British cemetery at Elvas that you might be able to help me with, but I'll post separately about that!
ctrunfree

Return to Peninsular War 1808-14