Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Are the sick really wounded?

For all discussions relating to the Peninsular War of 1808-14.

Are the sick really wounded?

Postby devils own » July 9th, 2017, 8:30 am

Good Morning
I have an ancestor who fought at vittoria with the 47th foot. On the musters dated two days later it shows a long line of men now in hospital as sick now in the rear, but none as listed as wounded, was sick also a meaning as wounded. it seems strange that all these men before the battle were ok but after the battle all sick,

Kind regards

Paul
devils own

Re: Are the sick really wounded?

Postby jf42 » July 9th, 2017, 10:00 am

Paul, I think you instincts are probably correct. 'Wounding' is an event, recorded in dispatches. 'Sick' is a state, recorded in regimental records indicating a soldier's availability for service, during which time he is under the authority of the medical services (such as they may be).

Wounding, if serious enough, puts a man in the care of the medical services until he is declared fit to return to his unit, ergo he is on the 'Sick' list.

Soldiers might also be marked as 'Died' in the Muster Rolls when in fact they were killed in action, or at least mortally wounded.
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Postby devils own » July 9th, 2017, 10:31 am

Hi
Cheers for that information. it seems that most of them were sick after the battle until August & September & were out of the battle of San Sebastian which i believe was a murderous affair. Which Means i have to go back to kew to look at the other battles of the 47th to see if he was wounded again, he transferred to the 40th foot in may 15 & fought at Waterloo so i may even check if he was wounded in that battle as well now i have this information.

Paul
devils own

Postby jf42 » July 9th, 2017, 1:40 pm

Paul, somewhere there will be reports listing the wounded and dead for each battalion after Vittoria. It may be of interest to see how the figure for wounded in the 47th compares with the men entered in the roll as sick after the battle.
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Return to Peninsular War 1808-14