Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

The occupation of Houlton

For all discussions relating to the war fought between Britain and the United States of America of 1812-15.

The occupation of Houlton

Postby Waggoner » January 9th, 2015, 12:31 pm

Two hundred years ago, Ensign George Morehouse received orders to proceed from his base at Meductic to Houlton and administer the oath of neutrality to all male residents over the age of sixteen. Accompanied by his soldiers of the New Brunswick Fencibles, he arrived in Houlton about 12 January and successfully completed his mission. As far as is known, this was the first time that New Brunswick troops were deployed to the neighbouring state of Massachusetts and the last excursion into American territory by troops in British North America. This event will be commemorated at the Cary Library in Houlton, ME at 3:00 pm on Monday 12 January 2015. All are invited!

All the best,

Gary
Waggoner

Re: The occupation of Houlton

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » January 9th, 2015, 12:51 pm

Will you be there Gary? There will be a book for sale there that might interest you, the speaker Dr. W.E. Campbell's “The Road to Canada: The Grand Communications Route from Saint John to Quebec”.

Interesting too how Houlton describes the “Battle of Houlton” 200 years ago: The author Dr. W.E. (Gary) Campbell will be at the library to talk about the 200th anniversary of the “capture” of Houlton that occurred in early January 1815 with special emphasis on the occupation of Houlton by British troops from Fort Maductic.
https://www.facebook.com/carylibrary.me

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby Waggoner » January 9th, 2015, 1:27 pm

Sarah,

I guess I should be there...I'm the speaker :-) Thanks for the link...I hadn't seen it. Looks like the spin doctors are on the loose!

All the best,

Gary
Waggoner

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » January 9th, 2015, 3:51 pm

The (Gary) was a giveaway, wasn't it!

Hope you have a good audience and a sunny day.

Sarah
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby Waggoner » January 9th, 2015, 6:33 pm

Sarah,

Thank you! The weather is forecast to cooperate - flurries (3-5 cm) and a high of -8 Celsius. I also earn a free dinner by addressing a joint meeting of the Houlton and Woodstock Rotary clubs in the evening. This will make it an international event.

All the best,

Gary
Waggoner

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » January 9th, 2015, 7:37 pm

Enjoy! Hope it's a book signing too. Flurries and cold equal that in parts of Northern Europe, if that's any consolation.

Sarah
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby Waggoner » January 9th, 2015, 7:49 pm

Sarah,

It will be practically balmy. It was -39 Celsius with the wind chill here yesterday :-(
Hopefully, a few books will be sold as well!

All the best,

Gary
Waggoner

Postby Waggoner » January 19th, 2015, 5:45 pm

The day went well in Houlton. There was an afternoon event in the Library which had a small turnout. In the evening, the joint Houlton, ME and Woodstock, NB meeting had about sixty people in attendance. By all reports, everyone enjoyed the presentations. I was unable to attend due to inclement weather. A 150 mile 'round trip on snowy roads was not in the cards!

All the best,

Gary
Waggoner

Return to War of 1812