Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

A Sketch of the 71st in Action at Quatre Bras?

For all discussions relating to the Hundred Days and Napoleon's final defeat at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.

A Sketch of the 71st in Action at Quatre Bras?

Postby Owen » August 23rd, 2017, 9:49 pm

Dear All,

Whilst researching the part of the 71st Highlanders in the Waterloo campaign, I came across the sketch in the link below.

http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/napoleon/search/printsdetail.php?ID=5534&doctype=Prints&sitelanguage=english

It is described as "Battle of Quatre-Bras. 71st Highlanders. "The pipes suddenly struck up the Pibroch and followed into the thickest of the fight."" The text accompanying the picture, which appeared in the now out of copyright book (The Battle of Waterloo, also of Ligny, and Quatre-Bras: described by the series of accounts published by authority, with circumstantial details / by a near observer...etc") reads:

IMG_6364.jpg
IMG_6364.jpg (41.32 KiB) Viewed 340 times

I am sure that many of you will be familiar with the book and perhaps the sketch too. As I understand it, the 71st were not at Quatre Bras...so, it is either a description of them at Waterloo (when they did indeed take part in the 'repulse' of the Imperisl Guard) erroneously titled...or, it is another of the Highland regiments engaged at Quatre Bras and wrongly attributed to the 71st.

I can't find any mention of this question being discussed before and just wonder what thoughts any of you might have?

Many thanks,

Owen

P.S. I am also asking this on the NS discussion area.
"How long was I in the army? Five foot eleven" Spike Milligan
Owen
Participating Member

Re: A Sketch of the 71st in Action at Quatre Bras?

Postby Josh&Historyland » August 24th, 2017, 8:17 pm

Owen, the activities of the 71st are an interest of mine too, but a passive one for the moment so crack on!

The sketch is one by George "Waterloo" Jones, who undertook many paintings and studies of the battle, the line drawings, this one included show scenes of the artillery, charge of the greys, and the Square of the Gloucester's. I have always seen this one as the repulse of the Garde. The erroneous description of the event being at QB is odd but easy to dismiss as their brigade was not at that battle, and neither was the Garde. The story of the pipes playing is reasonable enough, but common amongst highland regiments, the 92nd have a similar one of their Pipe Major playing Johnnie Cope as the union brigade charged.

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Re: A Sketch of the 71st in Action at Quatre Bras?

Postby Owen » August 24th, 2017, 10:06 pm

Thanks Josh, certainly an interesting Regiment. I guess it's just such a fundamental error, that it is hard to believe it was made by someone as worthy as Jones. And, of course it has to be the 71st given their chequered band shako's and trews...ergo, not QB but Waterloo. I feel a lot easier now!

Owen
"How long was I in the army? Five foot eleven" Spike Milligan
Owen
Participating Member

Return to War of the Seventh Coalition 1815