Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Did Sergeant Ewart have help?

For all discussions relating to the Hundred Days and Napoleon's final defeat at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.

Did Sergeant Ewart have help?

Postby unclearthur » May 24th, 2013, 10:26 pm

There's some discussion on FB pages at the mo, by historians far better read than I, that Sergeant Ewart of the Scots Greys may not have actually taken the eagle of the 45e Ligne at Waterloo, merely 'taken' it off the battlefield. :o

This came to light through apparent contradictions and discrepancies in his various versions of events when compared to accounts which have come to light more recently.

Anyone else seen, or have any views on, this?
unclearthur
Veteran Member

Re: Did Sergeant Ewart have help?

Postby Mark » May 24th, 2013, 10:34 pm

What are the 'versions that have come to light recently'?

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby unclearthur » May 25th, 2013, 1:33 pm

Mark wrote:What are the 'versions that have come to light recently'?

Mark

I'm not a party to them, and won't press for sources because I gather they are to be included in a yet unpublished work. I was just curious to find out if anyone had come across queries to Ewart's heroics elsewhere.
unclearthur
Veteran Member

Postby Mark » May 25th, 2013, 1:51 pm

I haven't personally come across anything so will have to wait for this unpublished work. However, it will need some serious critical analysis as with any historical 'revelation'.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby unclearthur » May 25th, 2013, 5:41 pm

The problem is it'll likely never be truly resolved. A bit like Lefebvre-Desnouettes' capture at Benevente - the 7th Hussars had his person, the 10th his sword and some poor non English-speaking German of of the KGL Light Dragoons had his watch.

So who really fought him to the point he surrendered is a bit vague :lol:

(Which is quite handy, really, because it was actually one of my fictional characters ;) )

Afternote: To correct my own mistake (doh!) it was the 10th who took him to Moore, the KGL got his sword and the 7th his watch. I think that's right this time. And you wonder why I find fiction a lot easier ;)
Last edited by unclearthur on May 25th, 2013, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unclearthur
Veteran Member

Postby jf42 » May 25th, 2013, 8:09 pm

"The history of a battle, is not unlike the history of a ball....."
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Postby Andrew » May 26th, 2013, 8:43 am

Concerning Ewart's account; I have always wondered where the Polish lancer came from, or, given the moment we all imagine he took the Eagle, any lancer at all.

There are no end of controversies over the capturing of colours; the taking of the Eagle of the 105th at Waterloo is another example. Out of interest there are the same discussions of which French cavalrymen took colours at Waterloo and the colour of the 69th at Quatre Bras.

Halkett's account of his capture of Cambronne at Waterloo is also challenged by the accounts of others that were there; he can certainly be accused of a slight lapse of memory or at least leaving out one or two relevant points!
Andrew
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Josh&Historyland » May 26th, 2013, 1:02 pm

The lancer has always puzzled me too, nevertheless unlike the dual capture of the 105th's eagle I have always read Ewart's cuckoo capture as a largley solo event, but it would seem we are not privy to some new documents now shedding new light on the subject, but from all I have read there has been little controversy as to Ewart's capture since the day he took it.

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby jf42 » May 26th, 2013, 8:33 pm

Controversy arose over a colour taken by the 42nd at Alexandria in 1801 but lost in a counter-attack by French dragoons, which was then apparently recaptured by a Alsatian soldier in the Minorca Regiment who presented it to General Abercromby. A Black Watch officer was sent back to London with the victory dispatch and bearing the captured trophy. Given the singling out of the 42nd and 28th in the dispatch, the press jumped to conclusions. The 42nd, still in Egypt, were initially unaware of this, however, and tempers became heated when on their return the Regiment was asked to explain the situation despite never having claimed the two captured colours were one and the same. The controversy rumbled on until 1817 when the Regiment accepted an unfeasibly large drinking vessel presented by the Duke of York and it was christened liberally at a parade in Ireland.

This hoo-ha obscured the fact that as a result of their enhanced reputation the 42nd, after their return from Egypt, took the opportunity to elicit permission from George III to continue wearing their regimental red feather which had been rendered non-regulation by successive orders issued during their absence in the West Indies and the Mediterranean. Both Regiment and the C-in-C's office forgot to record the fact and the rest is history. Or rather, not.
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Postby MarkW » May 16th, 2017, 3:40 pm

well several years have passed since the original post ...resolved?
MarkW
Participating Member

Next

Return to War of the Seventh Coalition 1815