Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Sergeant Tom Morris

For all discussions relating to the Hundred Days and Napoleon's final defeat at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.

Sergeant Tom Morris

Postby Amanda » February 19th, 2017, 2:13 pm

I've just finished reading his memoirs and really enjoyed them (if that's rather right word given that he doesn't hold back in his description of the battle of Waterloo, and it's very moving). Does anyone know what happened to him in later life? I hope he had a long, peaceful and happy retirement! There's no Wikipedia page for him which I find surprising given his must be one of the leading memoirs of the battle.

Any info gratefully received!
Amanda

Re: Sergeant Tom Morris

Postby Iain » February 26th, 2017, 8:30 am

Hi Amanda…, and welcome to the Forum.

I’m afraid I can’t help you but the others certainly can. Just needs some luck to have them on board when required.
It’s a bit like Batman…, never around when he’s needed ! ;)

Good luck with the research…, Iain.
Iain

Postby Amanda » May 29th, 2017, 7:55 pm

Thanks Iain, and a gentle bump in case anyone who knows is around!
Amanda

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » May 30th, 2017, 5:51 am

Having read his memoirs, can you tell us where he fought, what company he was in or any more detail about his service. Dates?

I found this summary of the book you read that gives the basic information.
This account of military service during the Peninsular War penned by the late sergeant of the 2nd Battalion of the 73rd Regiment of Foot, Thomas Morris, who was not even born by the time of the outbreak of the French Revolution in 1789. At the tender age of 16 in 1812 he became a substitute volunteer in the British Army, enticed by the tales of derring-do and the £60 bounty paid to each man. Even at that young age he had a fine eye for detail and anecdote which he took to Belgium to join the forces pressing Napoleon back into France. He served at the battle of Waterloo in which his regiment was heavily engaged in some of the fiercest fighting charged by French Cavalry no less than 11 times during the battle and bombarded by French artillery. It remained in square without breaking. The 2nd/73rd lost 6 officers and 225 men killed and wounded, the second heaviest casualties suffered by a line infantry regiment.

If you Search Thomas Morris on this forum, you'll find three pages of links to discussions about him/him regiment/the battle he was in. You can reply to any of them if you have questions.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby Amanda » May 30th, 2017, 5:44 pm

Thanks Sarah.
Amanda

Return to War of the Seventh Coalition 1815