Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Ensign Thomas Wedgwood :

For all discussions relating to the Hundred Days and Napoleon's final defeat at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.

Ensign Thomas Wedgwood :

Postby Iain » July 22nd, 2017, 9:15 am

Hi All…

Can someone provide a little information concerning Ensign Thomas Wedgwood at Hougoumont. 3rd Regiment of Foot Guards and apparently the grandson of the founder of Wedgwood porcelain; and was also Welsh.
One of my friends in the Brigade has found a plaque in his memory (probably known to you all) and they are programming a clean-up operation followed by a service. Because of it, I suppose they will need some info about him.
The grave is in Tenby; and when Wedgwood was a Lt Col, he probably met up with Nelson who was from the same town !

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/arms ... -a130-5e45
http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/battle-w ... AXdLXcZ.99

On a personal note, I’d like to know his company and CO.

Thanks in advance…, Iain.
Attachments
Wedgwood.jpg
Wedgwood.jpg (312.57 KiB) Viewed 223 times
Last edited by Iain on July 22nd, 2017, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iain

Re: Ensign Thomas Wedgwood :

Postby jf42 » July 22nd, 2017, 10:51 am

Iain, have you tried typing 'Lieut Col Thomas Wedgewood' into a well known search engine? It may prove rewarding.

(One thing that is unlikely to come up is Horatio Nelson, who was born in Norfolk and died when our man was about eight!)
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Postby Iain » July 23rd, 2017, 6:29 am

Thank you Jack...
Lol..., not much success ! (Google or Wikipedia) Lots about his father Thomas and grandfather though !
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Wedgwood
Iain

Postby jf42 » July 23rd, 2017, 9:28 am

Battle of Waterloo: How Ensign Tom Wedgwood survived the 'carnage' at Waterloo
Read more at http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/battle-w ... Xdl3alD.99

In a letter sent home to his mother, Louisa Jane Wedgwood the day after the battle, on June 19, 1815, Tom said: "They sent balls of fire upon the house and set a barn and all the other houses on fire.

"After being exposed to a heavy fire of shot grape and shells for two and half hours in which we had three officers wounded, besides a number of men, the right wing of our regiment and my company went down to the assistance of the Coldstreams in the wood in which there was a very heavy fire of musquetry.

"The French were directing nearly the whole of their fire at the house into which my company and another entered, nearly 100 men having been consumed in the flames.

"The French forced the gates three times and three times were driven back with immense loss, for we were firing at each other at about a distance of five yards. There was a large garden to the house which was surrounded by a wall on two sides, on the third and remaining side by a hedge. We had another company brought in and a few Dutch who lined the garden wall in which they made port holes and annoyed the French very much.

"At five o'clock the French gained ground very much and made the English retire from their position on the heights but were again driven back by a strong column consisting of cavalry and the 2nd Battalion of the 1st Guards and the remaining part of ours. After a hard struggle (they) were obliged to give ground and retire through the wood when they attacked the house again with renewed force and vigour. They knocked a great deal of the walls down with their cannon but could not gain admittance.

"My company was sent out to skirmish (at) about eight o'Clock. The 1st Guards and a part of ours charged the French with the bayonette and drove them entirely from the house.

"About that time a body of about 30,000 of the Prussians came up at a great pace and the French immediately retreated at a great pace and all our cavalry following them with our regiments and drove them back double quick and dispersed them entirely.

"My regiment has lost 16 officers killed and wounded, including Lt Colonel Sir A Gordon and Canning of my company who were among the number of killed. Capt Ashton of my company is also killed.

"The Duke of Wellington told us he never saw troops behave so well as the Guards."

Ensign Wedgwood went on to complain about Belgian troops, who he claimed, 'ran away, went to Brussels where all our baggage was and said that we were entirely defeated'; with the result that civilians looted the soldiers' belongings, believing them killed and not coming back. In a letter he wrote a few weeks later to an uncle he described the battle as 'carnage'. Talking about cannon fire, he said: "We had two officers wounded and one killed that way. The latter was Ensign Simpson, he had the whole of his backbone taken away by a shot which also killed a sergeant and men near him."

The letters were published by James A Audley in the 1930s in his account, entitled: A Wedgwood At Waterloo. The letters themselves had been lent to him by curator of the Wedgwood museum at the former Etruria works. The document was eventually passed on to Waterloo researcher Ken Ray, aged 74, of Roe Lane, Newcastle.

Mr Ray, and his friend Ken Baddeley, aged 67, of Trent Vale, have carried out a remarkable amount of research into the Battle of Waterloo and to North Staffordshire men who took part in the battle.

Read more at http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/battle-w ... Xdl3alD.99

http://www.christies.com/features/Tales ... 907-1.aspx
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Postby Iain » July 23rd, 2017, 3:14 pm

Lol..., nothing like an expert to find all the details. ;)

Thanks Jack...

PS I've provided Facebook and the Brigade with this URL.
Iain

Postby Iain » July 23rd, 2017, 3:21 pm

Wow !
Quote: "They sent balls of fire upon the house and set a barn and all the other houses on fire."
Amazing !

Absolutely amazing as it describes what the incendiary devices looked like when passing overhead. Gold…
Iain

Postby jf42 » July 23rd, 2017, 6:02 pm

Iain wrote:Lol..., nothing like an expert to find all the details. ;)

Thanks Jack...

PS I've provided Facebook and the Brigade with this URL.

You're welcome. I was surprised that you appeared to have drawn a blank as it was top of the first page in my search. There is more.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lieut ... 8AeYxLa4CQ
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Postby Iain » July 24th, 2017, 5:00 am

Thank you Jack !
It's a pity there are so many errors !
I'm wondering if he was part of Col Hepburn's Company sent down to support Saltoun ?

Kind Regards..., Iain.
Iain

Postby Iain » July 24th, 2017, 5:57 am

Found this on your link Jack…
https://www.spink.com/lot-description.aspx?id=9033132

“his first cousin, Charles Darwin (1809-82), was the famous naturalist and author. Commissioned Ensign, 3rd Regiment of Foot Guards, January 1814, he served with the 2nd Battalion as part of Lieutenant Colonel Canning´s Company during the Waterloo Campaign, 16-18.8.1815, when the Regiment suffered 42 killed and 204 wounded; Lieutenant, December 1820; Captain, December 1830. Captain Wedgwood married Anne, the daughter of Admiral Sir Charles Tyler. He died in 1860.”

Not Hepburn but Lt Col Canning.
Were there not two SG companies sent down at the same time to help Saltoun ?
Iain

Postby jf42 » July 24th, 2017, 7:02 am

That's more your AOE, Iain.
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Return to War of the Seventh Coalition 1815