Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Napoleon's son

For all discussions relating to the aftermath and legacies of the Napoleonic Wars.

Napoleon's son

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » May 26th, 2014, 4:43 pm

Napoleon's son, Napoleon Francois Charles Joseph Bonaparte, was born on 20 March 1811. France celebrated and Luxembourg did too inasmuch as it had been annexed by Napoleon in 1795. A garden with a tree in the middle was to be planted on the highest spot in each province and called Le Jardin du Roi du Rome. But there was a terrible drought that summer and few of the plants and trees survived. A water tower was built after WWI where one garden had been That site is now known as the Jardin Napoleon and most would tell you that it was named after Napoleon I.

Jardin Napoléon.jpg
Jardin Napoléon.jpg (87.06 KiB) Viewed 537 times

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Re: Napoleon's son

Postby Mark » May 28th, 2014, 2:01 pm

Interesting monument, I have to confess I never knew of its existence.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby terry1956 » May 29th, 2014, 12:58 pm

it looks a bit like a pumping station.michael
terry1956

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » May 29th, 2014, 2:29 pm

FBC-Elvas, Portugal wrote: A water tower was built after WWI where one garden had been.

It was a wooden structure at first and by the '30s it looked as it does now but with a pointed roof.

I expect the antennas are more important now. The Jardin Napoleon has been an important place since 1811.

Off topic but during WW2, the Germans had a direct phone connection to the Jardin Napoleon, near the Belgian border, but unsure of a secure phone line from there to Paris via Belgium and northern France, communication continued in code by radio. A young Luxembourg postal assistant used to tap into the phone line in the post office, note the information he heard and take it across the border to a secure contact in the Resistance. Gen. Eisenhower awarded him a medal.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Return to Aftermath & Legacy