Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

British protection of Ionian Isles

For all discussions relating to the aftermath and legacies of the Napoleonic Wars.

British protection of Ionian Isles

Postby drailton » December 28th, 2014, 1:21 pm

I am attempting to trace information about the military career of a bombardier in the Royal Artillery. His unit was posted (apparently from Ireland) to Corfu in 1820. I know that by 1823 he was a corporal and by 1827 a sergeant, still in Corfu, but that is all.

I am aware of the reasons why the RA were in Corfu - the Ionian Isles becoming a British Protectorate as a result of the Treaty of Paris signed in 1815 following the defeat and second abdication of Bonaparte. My interest at present is, firstly, in knowing which unit(s) of the RA were in Corfu at that time and, secondly, in trying to find sources of information about the RA in the Ionian Isles.
drailton

Re: British protection of Ionian Isles

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » December 29th, 2014, 9:11 am

Welcome to the forum. The period that interests you, the 1820s, are beyond the scope of this forum. But perhaps one of our members can suggest where you should look for the information you want.

Did your bombardier serve in the Royal Artillery during the Napoleonic Wars? Do you know his name?

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby drailton » December 29th, 2014, 11:43 am

Thank you for your reply, Sarah.

I posted to the 'Aftermath and Legacy' section of the Forum as it seemed that my query might be appropriate for it.
I have no information about his military career before 1920. I am guessing that he may have been too young for the Napoleonic Wars. He was James Drummond. What I have is a record of his marriage:
Marriage at St James Church Dublin, by banns, 25th April 1820, James Drummond, Batchelor, Bombr. P.B. Royl. Artillery, and Maria Hall, Spinster, Witnesses: Thos Campbell Qr. Mr. Sergt. Rl. Artly. and Duncan MacDonald Bomr. R.A.
This record appears in the GRO Ionian Isles Military Register of Marriages. I imagine that the record is there as the marriage took place immediately before embarkation.
I also have, from the GRO Ionian Isles Military registers, the baptism of 2 of his children at Corfu. One in 1823 when he was a corporal and the other in 1827 when he was a sergeant.
He may have been in Scotland by about 1846.

David
drailton

Postby 348 White » July 3rd, 2015, 12:32 pm

The eminently readable Sergeant Wheeler of the 51st foot served on Corfu from 1823 to 1824 and then on other Ionian locations till 1828 and left accounts of garrison life and native customs and scenery in his letters, including an amusing account of a Royal Artillery man in a hospital.
348 White
Participating Member

Postby drailton » July 3rd, 2015, 1:18 pm

Thank you for that information. Can you tell me where I can find Wheeler's account? Is it published?
drailton

Postby 348 White » July 3rd, 2015, 1:28 pm

My copy is The Windrush Press one:
the Letters of Private Wheeler 1809-1828
Ed B.H.Liddell Hart
ISBN 0 900075 58 9

(He is my favorite diarist of the period.)
348 White
Participating Member

Postby drailton » July 3rd, 2015, 1:30 pm

Thank you.
drailton

Return to Aftermath & Legacy