Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Three myths about the Congress of Vienna

For all discussions relating to the aftermath and legacies of the Napoleonic Wars.

Three myths about the Congress of Vienna

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » February 28th, 2015, 1:12 pm

Stella Ghervas, French historian and visiting scholar at Harvard University, addresses three myths about the Congress of Vienna.

http://www.napoleon.org/en/magazine/int ... 486617.asp

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
User avatar
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 2272
Joined: June 18th, 2011, 2:47 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Three myths about the Congress of Vienna

Postby Mark » March 2nd, 2015, 7:06 pm

Thanks, Sarah! The Congress of Vienna seems to be somewhat understudied in my opinion, yet very interesting.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
User avatar
Mark
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: May 12th, 2011, 7:52 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Three myths about the Congress of Vienna

Postby Josh&Historyland » March 2nd, 2015, 10:31 pm

I should think the Rights of Peace would be a good read.

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member
 
Posts: 1825
Joined: March 2nd, 2013, 1:14 pm

Re: Three myths about the Congress of Vienna

Postby Mark » March 3rd, 2015, 9:06 am

Josh&Historyland wrote:I should think the Rights of Peace would be a good read.

Josh.


I have this book and yes it is. It has been a while since I read it, but certainly one I would pick up again and re-read.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
User avatar
Mark
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: May 12th, 2011, 7:52 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Three myths about the Congress of Vienna

Postby unclearthur » March 4th, 2015, 8:27 pm

Mark wrote:
Josh&Historyland wrote:I should think the Rights of Peace would be a good read.

Josh.


I have this book and yes it is. It has been a while since I read it, but certainly one I would pick up again and re-read.

Mark


I was warned off it by a friend, who (like me) thought Zamoyski's 1812 was great but was much less enchanted with 'Rites'. So I think I'll stick with her advice.
User avatar
unclearthur
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 703
Joined: February 11th, 2012, 3:42 pm
Location: South Wales

Re: Three myths about the Congress of Vienna

Postby Mark » March 5th, 2015, 10:28 am

unclearthur wrote:
Mark wrote:
Josh&Historyland wrote:I should think the Rights of Peace would be a good read.

Josh.


I have this book and yes it is. It has been a while since I read it, but certainly one I would pick up again and re-read.

Mark


I was warned off it by a friend, who (like me) thought Zamoyski's 1812 was great but was much less enchanted with 'Rites'. So I think I'll stick with her advice.


His 1812 book is better, but his Rites of Peace is still worth reading.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
User avatar
Mark
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: May 12th, 2011, 7:52 pm
Location: United Kingdom


Return to Aftermath & Legacy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron