Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

The First Anniversary of Waterloo

For all discussions relating to the aftermath and legacies of the Napoleonic Wars.

The First Anniversary of Waterloo

Postby 348 White » June 21st, 2016, 8:41 pm

1816: June: Sunderland
June 18
The day was observed by the gallant 33rd regiment of foot, quarted in Sunderland barracks, as a high festival. On the morning the regiment had a grand field day; the men wore a sprig of laurel in their caps, and fired several rounds in honour of the occasion. The officers in the latter part of the day gave an elegant dinner to many of the gentry in the town and neighbourhood.
At night the garrison was illuminated when various transparencies were displayed. The non- commissioned officers had a ball and refreshments in one of the barracks and the men were also permitted to regale and enjoy themselves in commemoration of a day when their sufferings were so great, and when they contributed so much by their valour to the attainment of the glorious result.

Local Records, Volume 2
By John Sykes, John Sykes (of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.)
348 White
Participating Member

Re: The First Anniversary of Waterloo

Postby Shannon Selin » June 23rd, 2016, 11:06 pm

18 June 1816 on St. Helena:

The circumstance was mentioned by some one present, and the recollection of it produced a visible impression on the Emperor. ‘Incomprehensible day,’ said he in a tone of sorrow. … ‘Concurrence of unheard of fatalities! … Grouchy! … Ney! … Derlon! … was there treachery or only misfortune! … Alas! poor France! ….’ Here he covered his eyes with his hands. ‘And yet,’ said he, ‘all that human skill could do was accomplished! … All was not lost until the moment when all had succeeded! …’

A short time afterwards, alluding to the same subject, he exclaimed: ‘In that extraordinary campaign, thrice, in less than a week’s space, I saw the certain triumph of France, and the determination of her fate slip through my fingers. Had it not been for the desertion of a traitor, I should have annihilated the enemy at the opening of the campaign. I should have destroyed him at Ligny, if my left had done its duty. I should have destroyed him again at Waterloo if my right had not failed me.

'Singular defeat, by which, notwithstanding the most fatal catastrophe, the glory of the conquered has not suffered, nor the fame of the conqueror been increased; the memory of the one will survive his destruction; the memory of the other will perhaps be buried in his triumph!'

Emmanuel-August-Dieudonné de Las Cases, Mémorial de Sainte Hélène: Journal of the Private Life and Conversations of the Emperor Napoleon at Saint Helena (London, 1823), Vol. II, Part 4, pp. 252-253
Shannon Selin
Author of Napoleon in America. http://shannonselin.com
Shannon Selin
Participating Member

Re: The First Anniversary of Waterloo

Postby jf42 » June 23rd, 2016, 11:20 pm

"Incomprehensible day"
"Is he lucky....?"
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Return to Aftermath & Legacy