Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Heritage Days this weekend, September 10-11

For all discussions relating to the aftermath and legacies of the Napoleonic Wars.

Heritage Days this weekend, September 10-11

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » September 5th, 2016, 3:46 pm

European Heritage Days are this weekend, September 10th and 11th. This annual event provides a chance to visit historical locations across Europe.

In Britain several reminders of Napoleonic history still exist such as the Norman Cross Prison (Peterborough) a Napoleonic War Prison in use from 1797 until 1814, and Redoubt Fort built in 1808 to defend Harwich against invasion by Napoleon Bonaparte.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Re: Heritage Days this weekend, September 10-11

Postby TheBibliophile » September 6th, 2016, 8:02 am

Thanks Sarah,
Ive just sent an email to try to reserve a place at Norman Cross.
It would be a 4 hour drive in each direction for me, so a long day, but worthwhile I think.
TheBibliophile
Veteran Member

Postby TheBibliophile » September 6th, 2016, 12:23 pm

Yay! booked a space on a tour on Sunday morning!
TheBibliophile
Veteran Member

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » September 6th, 2016, 2:04 pm

What you'll see, on https://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/vis ... ison-depot, sounds worth the long drive.

Sarah
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby TheBibliophile » September 14th, 2016, 7:59 am

Reporting back...
There is obviously not much left of the site these days.
What remains is a haystore (Now an art gallery) and the agents house. Parts of the original paths/roadways exist and an arched wall.
We had a very interesting lecture which lasted just over an hour and explained the reasons for establishing a prison there, the function of the Transport Board of the Admiralty in settling the prisoners, the role of the local agent (a naval captain), the structure of the prison, social conditions, diseases etc etc.
It was an interesting lecture, some 6500 prisoners were at Norman Cross at a time when Peterborough itself only had a population of 3500, so it was, in effect, a small town itself.
200 yards up the road there is also a monument to prisoners who died at Norman Cross from an outbreak of disease (Probably Cholera or Diptheria) in 1800/1801.

NormanCross.jpg
NormanCross.jpg (118.67 KiB) Viewed 1541 times

The prison operated from 1797-1814. It was closed and sold off in 1816.
TheBibliophile
Veteran Member

Postby PaulD » September 16th, 2016, 9:46 am

There is an interesting exhibition about Norman Cross at Peterborough Museum, including many items made by the prisoners - http://www.peterboroughmuseum.org.uk/normancross/
PaulD

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » September 16th, 2016, 5:14 pm

Thanks Keith for the interesting report back. I hadn't realised the close connection of the prison to the Admiralty.

And thanks too Paul for the link to the Peterborough Museum. The intricate, useful instruments and furniture made of bone and straw are quite impressive.

Sarah
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby jf42 » September 16th, 2016, 5:37 pm

I am sorry I couldn't make this, although the information on exhibits is interesting. My ancestor was a troop commander in the Fife Fencible Cavalry, who in 1797-1798 were billeted in surrounding villages as support to the garrison.
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Postby TheBibliophile » September 17th, 2016, 8:56 am

FBC-Elvas, Portugal wrote:Thanks Keith for the interesting report back. I hadn't realised the close connection of the prison to the Admiralty.

And thanks too Paul for the link to the Peterborough Museum. The intricate, useful instruments and furniture made of bone and straw are quite impressive.

Sarah

I should have realised. Ive read so many times that the Admiralty were responsible for POWs that I forgot.
When Norman Cross was built, the responsibility lay with the "Transport Board". They had taken over responsibility for POWs from the"Sick and Hurt Board".
The two boards mentioned were part of a wider structure which saw boards with specific responsibility report to the Navy Board.
The Navy Board reported to the Admiralty.

18th century organisational structures eh?
TheBibliophile
Veteran Member

Return to Aftermath & Legacy