Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Hello fellow enthusiasts

Section for new members to introduce themselves and get tips and advice on how to get the best out of the forum.

Hello fellow enthusiasts

Postby gunship24 » September 26th, 2017, 9:32 pm

Hello,

My name is Andrew from Oxford and I registered as this seems like a great place to discuss the period of history I find most fascinating. I first "got into" the Napoleonic wars through wargaming about 5 years ago and haven't stopped since. There is so much to find out! At first I only knew about Waterloo but then discovered more and more about he nations involved and the turn of events over the 10 years of Napoleonic reign.

I find the uniforms fascinating in this period, the colours and different types, and have worked as a volunteer on the historic PC game Scourge of War: Waterloo to ensure uniforms were accurate.

I like to read but I enjoy researching even more. I enjoy finding out about historic detail, mostly about regiments and soldiers who fought. Currently I am interested in the French regiments and devising a project to see if its possible to get a better number of hors de combat at Waterloo using the soldier records at https://fr.geneawiki.com/index.php/Matricules_Napol%C3%A9oniens_1802-1815/S%C3%A9rie.

Looking forward to talking with you all :).

Andrew
gunship24

Re: Hello fellow enthusiasts

Postby Andrew » September 26th, 2017, 9:51 pm

Hi Andrew,

welcome to the forum. You may know from reading the posts here that I share your interest in the French army of the period. We have been a bit short of new posts recently, so I look forward to helping you in your research.

Best wishes,

another Andrew
Andrew
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Mark » October 2nd, 2017, 7:54 am

Welcome to the forum, Andrew!

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Digby » October 2nd, 2017, 6:03 pm

Hello Andrew,

I am sure you feel at home here. Its good to see someone with a great eye for detail.

Your project on French casualties looks very interesting.

I have confined my studies just to Waterloo - just because there is only so much time left as one gets older.
I am compiling my own detailed orders of battle, and combatants and casualties etc.

That website you link to sounds very interesting.
Digby

Postby Josh&Historyland » October 3rd, 2017, 11:01 am

Welcome to the show.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby gunship24 » October 5th, 2017, 9:49 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

I can spend a long time trawling through online archive books without a goal but I like it and its very addictive. The website I posted has the pension records of all the soldiers in all Guard and Ligne regiments (thats quite a lot!). It's a shame the Legere and other arms (cavalry and artillery for example) are not online yet. Maybe they will. The records can be quite useful for statistics but would need a team to index them, or maybe just pick one regiment and index the info for each soldier.
gunship24

Postby Digby » October 6th, 2017, 5:06 pm

@Gunship
I'm a bit like you , When I get on to a project I go full on, until I get waylaid.
My main project is to turn all those old books into word doc files, so that I can print them out all in the same format and sit down and read and study them. (especially the reference notes)
Digby

Postby janner » October 9th, 2017, 8:29 pm

Welcome aboard, Andrew :D
Stephen
janner
Participating Member

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » October 10th, 2017, 4:56 pm

And a big welcome from me too Andrew.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas