Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Hello

Section for new members to introduce themselves and get tips and advice on how to get the best out of the forum.

Hello

Postby EdBarker » September 9th, 2016, 7:31 pm

I joined the forum in April but am only now introducing myself. Being a British Army 'Brat' I have always had a keen interest in Military History but came to the Napoleonic Wars by way of family history research.
I was delighted to find that two directly traceable relatives were at Waterloo. The two lads were first cousins. Jeremiah Wharam had been in the 11th Light Dragoons since 1801. I would therefore expect that he saw service in the Peninsular. Jeremiah's cousin, Richard Wharam, was a member of Capt. Robert Vernor’s Troop (Scots Greys), the same Troop as the famous Sergeant Charles Ewart. Richard joined the Greys in late 1812. Both lads survived the Battle. The name Wharam, and the spelling, has really helped trace the (Yorkshire) family. Coincidentally, my own father who died before our connection to the cavalry at Waterloo came to light was himself a 4th Hussar. Any correspondence regarding the movement & service history of the 11th LD and the Greys during this period would be of great interest. Richard died an old man. Jeremiah died in service in 1820.
EdBarker

Re: Hello

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » September 9th, 2016, 7:57 pm

A warm welcome to the forum Ed. I checked Challis' Peninsula Roll Call but there is no Wharam listed, alas.
http://www.napoleon-series.org/research ... Intro.html

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby EdBarker » September 10th, 2016, 7:04 am

Thank you Sarah for taking the time to take a look. I forgot to mention that Jeremiah and Richard were both troopers although I believe that Jeremiah fleetingly reached the heady rank of corporal just prior to Waterloo.
Ed
EdBarker

Postby Andrew » September 10th, 2016, 3:55 pm

Ed, welcome to the forum. I hope you will keep us up to date on what your research reveals; I am always very jealous of people with your kind of family connections to Waterloo!

Andrew
Andrew
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Banker » September 11th, 2016, 12:53 am

Ed, Welcome to the forum. Jeremiah Wharam is on the Waterloo Medal Roll as a Private and was under the command of Captain John Bourchier as he died in 1820 he would not have received any Military General Service Medal that was issued in 1847.

Richard is listed on the Waterloo Medal roll as you state under Captain R Vernon and is listed as Richard Wharan.
Regards Steve
Researcher of Australians at War and Collector of Victorian Campaign Medals
Banker
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » September 12th, 2016, 9:19 pm

Warm welcome to the forum, Ed!

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator