Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Hi from Australia

Section for new members to introduce themselves and get tips and advice on how to get the best out of the forum.

Hi from Australia

Postby ctrunfree » October 20th, 2016, 10:04 pm

Hi everyone

I'm a new member from Melbourne Australia.

I've always had an interest in military history, and had the opportunity of adding Waterloo to my list of "battlefields visited" earlier this year. I have a particular interest in the Peninsular War as my 3g grandfather Private Richard TAYLOR (1785-1857) fought there with the 48th Regiment of Foot.

His Military General Service Medal had with clasps for seven engagements: Talavera, Bucaco, Albuhera, Badajoz, Vittoria, Pyrennees and Toulouse.

He was wounded by a musket ball through the left thigh at the Battle of the Pyrennes, and discharged on 3 November 1814 after seven years two months service, and had a pension rate of 9p per day. (I'm not sure whether that was the 1814 or 1852 rate). I'm also intrigued as to how he managed to be back on deck for Toulouse if he had a "pension-worthy" injury!

I'm also keen to establish whether he was a 1/48 or 2/48 man (at least up to Albuera). A document listing the clasps for MGSM participants has him under Colonel Duckworth's, but I understand that Duckworth commanded both Battalions at different times in the Peninsular.

We will be visiting the battlefield next year and it would be good to have a better understanding of his involvement.
ctrunfree

Re: Hi from Australia

Postby jf42 » October 20th, 2016, 11:03 pm

Welcome. Should we call you 'ct' or just 'run'?

A pretty full CV there, and for service in a regiment we don't hear a lot of in this period. I don't know whether the WO12 Muster Rolls for the 48th at Kew will help you identify the battalion, but - good luck.

JF
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Postby ctrunfree » October 21st, 2016, 12:43 am

Thanks JF for the welcome!

The 48th were renowned as the heroes of Talavera. Unfortunately the 2/48th had a disagreement with some Polish lancers at Albuera, after which the 48th basically contracted to a single battalion. They were sent to Ireland after the Peninsular War ended (I understand few of the original 900 troops survived the campaign) and were not present at Waterloo.
ctrunfree

Postby Mark » October 21st, 2016, 9:39 am

Warm welcome to the forum!

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Andrew » October 21st, 2016, 9:25 pm

Welcome to the forum 'ct'. I look forward to hearing more about the 48th. When I was writing my book on Talavera, I found the regimental museum of the Northamptons very helpful; they appear to have an extensive archive and may be able to help you.

Andrew
Andrew
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby ctrunfree » October 21st, 2016, 11:44 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

I hope to be over in the UK next summer, so might try and fit a trip in to the Regimental Museum while I'm there.

In the meantime I'm trying to see if the Muster books of the 48th during the Peninsular Wars are available anywhere online.
ctrunfree

Postby janner » October 24th, 2016, 2:57 pm

Welcome aboard. As you can see, it's a very helpful place ;)
Stephen
janner
Participating Member

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » October 25th, 2016, 4:33 pm

A warm welcome to the forum. Good luck with your research.

I looked on the 'Challis List' for your ancestor, without success.
http://www.napoleon-series.org/research ... Intro.html

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby ctrunfree » October 27th, 2016, 12:26 am

FBC-Elvas, Portugal wrote:A warm welcome to the forum. Good luck with your research.

I looked on the 'Challis List' for your ancestor, without success.
http://www.napoleon-series.org/research ... Intro.html

Sarah

Thanks Sarah, but my man never made it that far up the ranks!
ctrunfree

Postby ctrunfree » October 27th, 2016, 12:27 am

Andrew wrote:Welcome to the forum 'ct'. I look forward to hearing more about the 48th. When I was writing my book on Talavera, I found the regimental museum of the Northamptons very helpful; they appear to have an extensive archive and may be able to help you.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew

I did get in touch with the museum, but they responded that "Unfortunately we have no service records for soldiers for this time in the regimental archives."
ctrunfree

Return to New Members