Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Hello from Yorkshire

Section for new members to introduce themselves and get tips and advice on how to get the best out of the forum.

Hello from Yorkshire

Postby janette1169 » October 30th, 2016, 11:54 am

Hello. My name is Janette. I am new to this forum. My 4x great grandfather, was at the Battle of Talavera. He lost an arm in the conflict. His brother, my uncle was at the Battle of Waterloo. He was in the 1st Bn. 71st regiment of Light Infantry.
Very proud indeed i am to be a direct decendant of these 2 men.
Hoping to discover more about both battles within the forum

Janette
janette1169

Re: Hello from Yorkshire

Postby Andrew » October 30th, 2016, 3:17 pm

Welcome to the Forum Janette. What regiment was your Gx4 Grandfather in? You will probably have seen that there are at least three books generally available on Talavera, including the Osprey one. Lots more of course on Waterloo and plenty here on the Forum.

Andrew
Andrew
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby janette1169 » October 30th, 2016, 4:23 pm

Hi Andrew,
Thank you for the warm welcome. When I find my way around the forum I will check out everything on Talavera and Waterloo. Looking forward to discovering more.
My 4x G, grandfather was in the 2nd Bn, 43rd Regiment of Light Infantry. His discharge papers don't give a date for the battle of Talavera, only the date he was discharged.
I would love to find out more on how he lost his arm, what his role in the regiment would have been.
I also have his brothers discharge papers too, however I am unable to read the handwriting on them. I have asked for help in transcribing them on a genealogy forum, but had no luck. However I know he was at the Battle of Waterloo from records on Ancestry. I then searched the Waterloo 200 website and found his name and regiment on the Waterloo roll call.
As I stated in my opening post, I am very proud of both ancestors and all the other ancestors that served our country.
Once again thank you for the welcome and the tips on Talavera and Waterloo.

Regards
Janette
janette1169

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » October 30th, 2016, 7:23 pm

A warm welcome to the forum Janette. If you can click on http://www.peninsularwar200.org/talavera.html tomorrow, you'll see a page on the Battle of Talavera. The site is going off line on November 1st but there's plenty more information right here on the forum.

Just go to Search in the grey area at the top of the forum page. Type Talavera and you'll find 17 pages with posts that mention the Battle of Talavera. The battle was fought in 1809 and we were discussing it in the early days of the forum so you could jump to page 17 and work backwards.

There's lots of mention of Waterloo but that began on the forum much later. Good luck!

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » October 31st, 2016, 11:44 am

Welcome to the forum, Janette!

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby janette1169 » November 2nd, 2016, 10:12 am

Sarah & Mark,
Thank you both for the welcome. I am slowly finding my way around the forum now. already discovered some interesting facts and information regarding my ancestor's regiments. Although i am a little confused over why they would enlist within Scottish regiments when they were Irish.
However i'm sure it will all become clear with more research.

Janette
janette1169

Postby jf42 » November 3rd, 2016, 12:23 am

Welcome, janette.

There were many Irish men who enlisted in regiments across the board during the Napoleonic wars. Ireland was a fertile recruitng ground for the Briish Army throughouth the 18th and 19th centuries.

The regional names of the regiments did not always reflect the portion of the British Isles that individual recruits came from. Generally speaking, regiments took men where they could find them. This was happening as late as World War Two.

Highland regiments in particular struggled increasingly to find men from Highland districts, to the extent that a number of regiments were stripped of their Highand, even their Scottish identity.

Good hunting
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Postby janner » November 3rd, 2016, 11:09 am

Welcome aboard, Janette :)
Stephen
janner
Participating Member

Postby janette1169 » November 3rd, 2016, 12:13 pm

Thank you for the welcome, Further research showed the 71st foot Bn was in Ireland at the time my ancestor enlisted in Newry.
Because of the Scotland connection , it sent me on a bit of chase to find ancestors in Scotland!
However thank you so much for the information regarding the regiments.
I'm now searching for the uniform of the regiment at the time of Waterloo. Was the 71st Battalion heavily involved?

Janette

jf42 wrote:Welcome, janette.

There were many Irish men who enlisted in regiments across the board during the Napoleonic wars. Ireland was a fertile recruitng ground for the Briish Army throughouth the 18th and 19th centuries.

The regional names of the regiments did not always reflect the portion of the British Isles that individual recruits came from. Generally speaking, regiments took men where they could find them. This was happening as late as World War Two.

Highland regiments in particular struggled increasingly to find men from Highland districts, to the extent that a number of regiments were stripped of their Highand, even their Scottish identity.

Good hunting
janette1169

Postby janette1169 » November 3rd, 2016, 12:14 pm

Thank you for the welcome, Further research showed the 71st foot Bn was in Ireland at the time my ancestor enlisted in Newry.
Because of the Scotland connection , it sent me on a bit of chase to find ancestors in Scotland!
However thank you so much for the information regarding the regiments.
I'm now searching for the uniform of the regiment at the time of Waterloo. Was the 71st Battalion heavily involved?

Janette

jf42 wrote:Welcome, janette.

Good hunting
janette1169

Next

Return to New Members