Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Troop Sergeant Major John Levitt KDG

Section for new members to introduce themselves and get tips and advice on how to get the best out of the forum.

Troop Sergeant Major John Levitt KDG

Postby TerryLevett » February 13th, 2017, 9:12 pm

Hello,
I am researching John Levett my 3xGreatgrandfather who was a Troop Sergeant Major in the 1st. or Kings Dragoon Guards.born about 1780 in Pettistree in Suffolk England. He joined the regiment in his late teens in 1800 and climbed through the ranks to TSM within 10 years, he led the 3 rd. Troop at Waterloo. I am constructing a life story of him and would be pleased and greatfull for any information any of you more experienced Napoleon researchers can help me with regarding John Levitt (as his military record spells his name) when I have completed the story I will upload it to this site,thank you in advance. T.L.
TerryLevett

Re: Troop Sergeant Major John Levitt KDG

Postby unclearthur » February 14th, 2017, 8:50 pm

TSM Levitt is listed in the KDG waterloo roll provided in an appendix of Richard Goldsbrough's The Cavalry That Broke Napoleon -The Kings Dragoon Guards at Waterloo.
No mention of him in the text, though, suggesting there are no letters or other paperwork around, which is a shame. Goldsbrough says the 3rd Troop charged at Waterloo in 'either the left or centre squadron' so there was obviously a certain amount of confusion when they lined up with the 1st and 2nd Lifeguards and continued when the brigade split, going both sides of La Haye Sainte :?
unclearthur
Veteran Member

Return to New Members