Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

General Handford - Morocco

Section for new members to introduce themselves and get tips and advice on how to get the best out of the forum.

General Handford - Morocco

Postby banstead100 » February 28th, 2017, 11:44 pm

Hi All,
Does anyone know anything about a General Handford who was apparently engaged by the Sultan of Morocco to reorganise his troops following the Peninsular War? It's a story that might been distorted in the telling over the years and I have no further information about him. Internet searches have drawn a blank. I can't see any Handfords mentioned in the London Gazette promoted to a rank higher than captain between 1800 and 1830. Given that he must have served for a long time before he became a general (if he did indeed reach that rank) then he must have cropped up somewhere in the Peninsular War but the British Army Officers' Peninsular War Roll only includes a Lieutenant Thomas Handford, 10th Foot, died 1814. There are no Handford officers on the Waterloo Medal Roll and none in the 1841 Army List (bit of a longshot that one but it was just about the only one I could find available online). Does anybody have an Army List to hand that would cover the period (perhaps 1815-1830ish)?
Thanks,

James
banstead100

Re: General Handford - Morocco

Postby Mark » March 2nd, 2017, 9:48 am

Welcome to the forum, James!

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Return to New Members