Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Hello from the author of the Napoleonic Flashman series

Section for new members to introduce themselves and get tips and advice on how to get the best out of the forum.

Hello from the author of the Napoleonic Flashman series

Postby Brightwell » January 6th, 2018, 12:07 pm

Having just joined this forum, I thought I would drop by this page first to introduce myself. My name is Robert Brightwell and I have long been fascinated with the history of the early nineteenth century. With the industrial revolution impact on printing, it was the first time that people other than generals and princes got to write their memoirs and while many accounts were subsequently lost in dusty archives, with the internet age they are now being found again.

Some years ago I started to write a series of books. I wanted to feature some of the less well-known characters from the era who had led extraordinary lives and cover forgotten but amazing events. I also wanted my books to be historically accurate and based on first-hand accounts – and of course for them to be entertaining and enjoyable to read. When I thought of a vehicle to achieve this, I remembered the Victorian Flashman series written by George Macdonald Fraser, based on the villain from Tom Brown's Schooldays. I subsequently created an earlier Napoleonic era member of the Flashman family – Thomas Flashman.

After some scene setting, the first book covers Thomas Cochrane’s extraordinary early adventures in the Mediterranean. The next is set around the second Mahratta war and features an extraordinary character called the begum of Samru, a nautch dancer who became a shrewd politician, a very successful general (seeing off two attacks by the future duke of Wellington,) before coming close to being a Catholic saint. My third and fourth books are set in the Peninsula war where I have deliberately steered a different course from Sharpe and have included a range of interesting characters and events including the exploits of the Loyal Lusitanian Legion – a tiny force that stopped Marshal Victor’s army at Alcantara on the same day that Wellington attacked Soult at Oporto. My fifth book is set around Lake Erie during the war of 1812 and the sixth is on the Waterloo campaign. I have not just covered the battle, but also the circumstances that enabled Napoleon to return bloodlessly to power less than a year after he was forced to abdicate. My most recent book is back with Thomas Cochrane again and his little-known exploits to liberate most of Brazil from Portuguese domination through bluff and trickery.

I look forward to joining in forum discussions. In the meantime, for more information on me and my books and some free downloads of some of the source material, please check my website: http://www.robertbrightwell.com
Brightwell

Re: Hello from the author of the Napoleonic Flashman series

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » January 6th, 2018, 3:28 pm

A warm welcome to the Forum Robert. Good luck with your books.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby Andrew » January 6th, 2018, 10:05 pm

Welcome to the Forum Robert, I hope you will contribute to some of the discussions and maybe share some of your research.

Andrew
Andrew
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Waggoner » January 7th, 2018, 1:45 am

Robert,

Welcome to the Forum! Your books sound interesting so I have just purchased the Kindle edition of the first one. I will let you know what I think of it.

All the best,

Gary
Waggoner

Postby Mark » January 8th, 2018, 11:44 am

Welcome to the forum, Robert!

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Return to New Members