Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

33rd Regiment of Foot

Section for new members to introduce themselves and get tips and advice on how to get the best out of the forum.

Re: 33rd Regiment of Foot

Postby Genie1957 » January 18th, 2018, 9:15 pm

Hi Owen,

Thanks for the links. I am so glad I joined this forum!

I now feel that I am building up a picture of William and his movements with the 33rd. An online resource states that after the 33rd returned to the UK in January 1816, they were kept on the march for the next four years between Sunderland, Nottingham, Hull and Portsmouth where half of the Regiment went to Guernsey, Stirling, Glasgow, Ulster and Dublin. On a Rootchat forum, someone referred to the fact that the regiment marched all the way! Like you said, after that they were sent to the West Indies.

Please forgive my ignorance, but prior to this, I had very little knowlede of this. I was in Belgium a couple of years ago (on a World War 1 100 year research trip) and would have visited if I had know this then. I have read that the battle was never fought at Waterloo though. I am trying so hard to understand it all. I found a source that suggested that he may have spent some time standing guard at Windsor Castle.

William is showing on the Sunderland Muster but not the Hull Musters which cover a year on the Ancestry record set. He didn't die there as on the Regimental Register record he re-enlisted in 1818. He is also serving as a corporel in 1823 but where?

The Sunderland reference was an excellent clue as it led me to finding out more about John Shaw who enlisted with William. I have a feeling they enlisted together and were either related or close friends. I now know that John was discharged at Sunderland on the 22nd July 1816. He is recorded on the Hull musters as 'Invalid Chatham' or it could be another John Shaw as there were two.

When Googling Sunderland Barracks 33rd regiment, I found a website that proves that John Shaw's Waterloo medal was sold at auction on 25th March 2015. The information reads: John Shaw was born in the parish of Masham, and enlisted in the 33rd Foot on 3rd May 1811 aged 21 years. He was discharged at Sunderland on 22nd July 1816 in consequence of a gun shot wound of left leg received in the Battle of Waterloo sixteenth June 1816. He died at Masham on 18th June 1868 aged 81. Sold with copied discharge papers.

There was an image of the Waterloo Medal which I was pleased to see and to know that my William received the same. I would have been over the moon to find his medals at auction but not sure I would pay the recommended 2,500-3,000 for it!

What I would like to know is did there wives and families follow them or did they stay at home? I ask this as I cannot trace is wife. I have traced his daughter and possible his son.

Thanks to all help so far from everyone. I am so grateful.

Genie
Genie1957

Postby Genie1957 » January 18th, 2018, 9:27 pm

Sorry for the duplicate message but when I checked my post wasn't there.
Genie1957

Postby Owen » January 18th, 2018, 10:11 pm

Genie,

Great that his Waterloo Medal is out there and that you have a picture of it...next best thing to having it.

The Battle of Waterloo (as opposed to the Waterloo Campaign), was fought over one day about 3 miles to the south of the village of Waterloo, in the vicinity of Mont Saint Jean and French accounts (and some allied accounts) do refer to the location as Mont St Jean rather than Waterloo. It is a vast subject and certainly not one I can describe in a few lines. In very simple terms, The Duke of Wellington formed his allied army along a ridge line, with Plancenoit to his left flank and Braine-l’Alleud to his right flank. The Duke formed his HQ in Waterloo village and, after the battle, wrote his dispatch (described the events) there and so his dispatch (sent by a rider to the Prince Regent at Windsor) bore the Waterloo village name and so - the battle became “Battle of Waterloo”.

As for the ladies who followed the soldiers - yes, a ratio of wives/mistresses were permitted to follow their 'husbands' on campaign. There is quite a good article (thesis) written on this subject, which would be worth you reading: https://pdxscholar.library.pdx.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.co.uk/&httpsredir=1&article=4144&context=open_access_etds

There are some very knowledgeable folk on this forum about this period and - as you seem keen to understand it - I am sure they will be along soon!

Owen
"How long was I in the army? Five foot eleven" Spike Milligan
Owen
Participating Member

Postby 348 White » January 20th, 2018, 8:19 pm

I've little to add to individuals details about your ancestor. He was slightly wounded in the 1815 campaign. I have a note that lists him as a Corporal in (from?) 19th Sept 1813.
I've a bit of material on the post war home service of the 33rd that I hope to see published in the future.
348 White
Participating Member

Postby Genie1957 » January 21st, 2018, 4:21 pm

Thanks. I need to find out more about the post war home service and where William re-enlisted. I have sent a private message.
Genie1957

Postby 348 White » January 21st, 2018, 5:18 pm

The John Shaw you mentioned gave his profession as being that of a labourer before his enlistment. He seems to have been in No 4 Company (Capt Knight's) during the Waterloo campaign.
348 White
Participating Member

Postby Genie1957 » January 21st, 2018, 11:50 pm

Thanks John. All information gratefully received and much appreciated. It helps me build a picture of these two men.

The people on this forum are so knowledgeable. It is brilliant!

Genie
Genie1957

Previous

Return to New Members