Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

How did Napoleon counter counter-revolutionaries?

For all discussions relating to the background and causes of the Napoleonic Wars including the French Revolution of 1789-1799.

How did Napoleon counter counter-revolutionaries?

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » May 22nd, 2014, 2:19 pm

What do we know about the counter-revolutionaries and how Napoleon handled them?
To start the discussion, here's a sign seen in Sancerre, SE of Paris on the Loire .
The history of Sancerre.jpg
The history of Sancerre.jpg (333.2 KiB) Viewed 1113 times

The last text reads: In April 1796, several thousand counter-revolutionaries occupy Sancerre for several days. Napoleon I creates an administrative sous-prefecture in Sancerre which will last until 1926.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Re: How did Napoleon counter counter-revolutionaries?

Postby Josh&Historyland » May 22nd, 2014, 11:20 pm

I think establishing the Gendarmerie imperial was a big part. Michael Broers goes into it quite a bit in his new book about Napoleon. He reorganised the already standing military police and spread them around the country in small groups of I think 2-4 men, they were of both horse and foot, and reported back to a central administration in Paris. I assume this would have been headed at first by Fouche, who I think also wielded a considerably comprehensive secret police.

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Return to Background & Causes