Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Battle of Jersey.

For all discussions relating to the background and causes of the Napoleonic Wars including the French Revolution of 1789-1799.

Re: Battle of Jersey.

Postby Will M » January 9th, 2015, 7:02 am

In reference to Jersey, a few years ago I gave the Jersey museum a document "letter of attorney" for a "fort major of Jersey"
I do not remember his name but am interested in what a "fort major " is. It was dated later than the concern of this forum, 1870.
However it brought interest to a place I had little knowledge of before. Amazing what people sell on Ebay, though a worthwhile find.
Will M
Participating Member

Postby jf42 » January 9th, 2015, 8:10 am

What does the Jersey museum have to say?
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Postby Student of 1812 » January 9th, 2015, 10:08 am

I'm guessing about a Fort Major. As with the Royal Garrison Artillery, I would imagine that you would find, particularly a militiaman, could well be a Fort Major in charge of, or second in command of, a fort charged with its defence.

The Channel Islands represented a strategically important position in the Atlantic between France and England and lived in constant fear of invasion. Defence focused on the forts and Matello towers that are evident today around the coasts - built initially to counter the French (with concrete added to many by German slave labourers during the WWII occupation to resist anticipated Allied invasion).

Here is something I wrote when researching my book on Le Marchant and Brock and would be relevant for Jersey as well as Guernsey: 'The British Government was responsible for defence [of the CI] and a British garrison was supplemented by the local, unpaid, militia in which Guernseymen were required to serve. Because no non-British regiment was allowed to reside on the British mainland, Guernsey received Russians, Dutch, Black Brunswickers, Royalist French troops as well as British battalions.....
The Lieutenant Governor, Sir John Doyle, undertook a re-organisation of the Militia in 1803 to meet the Napoleonic threat. The North, South and West regiments became Light Infantry so that The Guernsey Militia consisted of: three Light Infantry regiments, one Foot regiment, a Troop of Light Dragoons, an Artillery regiment, and Pioneers.'
Make much of your horses!
Student of 1812
Participating Member

Postby Louis » April 9th, 2015, 11:07 am

Ive seen this before and assumed it was Jersey US.
Had no idea till now its actually at the Channel Islands.
Will have to visit now!
Louis

Postby jf42 » April 11th, 2015, 7:25 am

C'est assez drole, ça...
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Previous

Return to Background & Causes