Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

'Place'

For all discussions relating to fortifications and siege warfare etc. of the Napoleonic period.

Re: 'Place'

Postby Senarmont198 » December 22nd, 2015, 1:46 pm

I've been doing some research about period engineers and sieges, and have found that the British used the term 'place' for a fortified city or fortress, as Jones repeatedly does in his Journal.

I expect there wasn't a better military term for a fortress or fortified city that was in common use at the time.
Senarmont198

Postby jf42 » December 22nd, 2015, 2:02 pm

As I said in my OP
jf42 wrote:

Over the last year I have been encountering in French texts the word 'place' (in Spanish texts 'plaza') to signify, depending on the context, a stronghold, a castle, a fortress, a fortified town or city, usually when the object of a campaign or attack.

I have failed to find a concise English translation. This may be to do with the portmanteau vagueness of the orginal. Obviously, one word in English just might not serve, but am I overlooking something? Needless to say, I don't think 'place' will do.
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Postby Senarmont198 » December 22nd, 2015, 2:38 pm

It appears, however, that the engineering/fortification term 'place' did suffice and was used by the British, and probably by the Americans as well, to designate a permanent fortification.

That was the term used in English, so I submit it will have to do...
Senarmont198

Postby TheBibliophile » December 22nd, 2015, 2:53 pm

jf42 wrote:Ah, I see. No, I don't require translation for my own comprehension.

I am looking for a concise, modern alternative to the C18th/early C19th usage of the word 'place', adopted from the French, and used in military parlance, although not quite a technical term, to refer to a range of fortifed places, strongholds, etc in accounts of campaigns.

Possibly in vain.

But does there have to be one. Can the word place not just mean place?
TheBibliophile
Veteran Member

Postby jf42 » December 22nd, 2015, 6:38 pm

The meaning and usage. Is. Not. At. Issue.

Here is Charles James on the subject in the New Military Dictionary 1802

PLACE , in fortification, signifies in general terms, a fortified town, a fortress: hence we say it is a strong place

PLACE of arms (Place d’armes, Fr) This term has various significations, although it uniformly means a place which is calculated for th rendezvous of men in arms, &c.

1st. When an army takes the field, every stronghold or fortress which supports its operations by affording a safe retreat to its depots, heavy artillery, magazines, hospitals, &c. is called a place of arms.

2dly In offensive fortification, those lines are called places of arms or parallels which unite the different approaches,, &c. and contain bodies of troops who
[do duty in the trenches or assigned to attack]

Of course, I could use the word 'place' but I would need to put it in quotation marks because the term has fallen out of use in the military context- not least because fortresses and fortifed towns no longer play the same role in warfare. That is why the word place cannot be used to mean 'place' - not without quotation marks. It is a matter of writing style. I was wondering if there was a more contemporary portmanteau term that might do the job instead. Today, we might perhaps be more likely to talk about a 'position' or positions however, in my opinion, that word would not serve when writing in a late C18th context.
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Postby TheBibliophile » December 22nd, 2015, 6:59 pm

Facility?
TheBibliophile
Veteran Member

Postby Senarmont198 » December 22nd, 2015, 7:00 pm

I would suggest that if you are writing about the period, the term place should be used as a technical term, as it was used then. If there is confusion then that's what a glossary is for.
Senarmont198

Postby jf42 » December 23rd, 2015, 11:45 am

As I said, a matter of style.
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Previous

Return to Fortifications & Siege Warfare