Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Badajoz

For all discussions relating to fortifications and siege warfare etc. of the Napoleonic period.

Badajoz

Postby OXFORDMON » December 29th, 2011, 4:15 pm

Interesting short video of the siege and storming.

Andy.

"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Re: Badajoz

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » February 12th, 2012, 12:00 pm

This link will take you to the Baluarte Group's video of Fortress Badajoz: http://badajoz1812.blogspot.com/2010/04 ... dajoz.html

If you visit Badajoz, there is a very good view of the fortress wall from the small public garden just south of the castle. One sees not only the man-built wall but twice that height in sheer rock face below it.

As the video says, land outside the walls was leveled post-1812 and it's difficult to judge now just how high those walls could be. Brave lads.
Badajoz wall south of castle 2012.jpg
Badajoz wall south of castle 2012.jpg (90.9 KiB) Viewed 4068 times

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby TheBibliophile » February 12th, 2012, 12:11 pm

I would love to see some of the old battle sites.... are they easy to get to in terms of flights? Some of the tour companies that exist are quite expensive I think...looked at a 7 day tour to portugal and it was going to be over 2K :shock:
TheBibliophile
Veteran Member

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » February 12th, 2012, 2:50 pm

You can certainly tour the Peninsular War battlefields on your own. There are reasonable flights from the UK to Madrid and Lisbon and also Valladolid and Jerez that PW visitors to Iberia use regularly. Lodging and meals can be very reasonable too; a good 3 course Menu de Dia in Spain costs just € 8 pp including wine, beer or water.

Many of the battlefields are still largely intact and easily viewable from public roads or paths. If fields aren’t in crop and you haven’t hopped any fences, landowners generally don’t mind careful visitors. The best preserved, accessible battlefields that I’m familiar with are Albuera, Salamanca and Talavera in Spain and Vimeiro and the Lines of Torres Vedras in Portugal. There are photographs and GPS readings of those and more on http://peninsularwar200.org/battlefields.html

Then you might want to look at http://peninsularwar200.org/events.html to see if there are any events that coincide with your visit.

How much you can see during one visit depends on the time available and distances. I can recommend both the museums at Arapiles [open only Saturday morning and sometimes one afternoon] and Vimeiro, where there is a panorama view of the battlefield from the museum. The director is very informed about that sector and speaks good English.

Boa viagem!
Sarah
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby TheBibliophile » February 12th, 2012, 3:00 pm

Ill have to start looking.... starting with some of the frontier forts would seem a good idea....
TheBibliophile
Veteran Member

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » February 12th, 2012, 3:56 pm

The forts are very accessible. The newly refurbished museum at Almerida is good. In one of the gateways in the western wall, there's a bookshop that you might not notice. Access onto and between the walls of Ciudad Rodrigo is surprisingly easier, from the Cathedral area.

The tourist office in Badajoz has a very useful new leaflet in English that identifies the bastions. There are new information signs throughout the town, though in Spanish and Portuguese.

If you have time, Olivenza is a lovely, often overlooked fortress town that is largely still intact. And don't forget Elvas! The only complete Vauban-style fortress that I know of. It's easy to walk around. There's a comfortable, inexpensive hostel in the centre and the military museum in the old barracks, the former PW military hospital [now Hotel S. Joao de Deus], two outlying fortresses - one accessible - make the town well worth visiting. I hope you'll visit too the British Cemetery at the top of the town if you're there.

If you can visit Iberia in the middle of May, you could attend the British Cemetery ceremony on the 14th http://british-cemetery-elvas.org/bicentennial.html and the commemoration of the Battle of Albuera on the 16th http://peninsularwar200.org/albuera9.html

Sarah
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby TheBibliophile » February 12th, 2012, 4:07 pm

Thanks.... I will start some research :D
TheBibliophile
Veteran Member

Return to Fortifications & Siege Warfare