Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Pension

For all discussions relating to other military and naval matters of the Napoleonic period not covered by the above.

Pension

Postby peter harrison » September 27th, 2012, 2:07 pm

My ancestor,William Bateman,became a Chelsea Pensioner in 1827.He was an out-pensioner.What did this entail?How much did he receive?How did he collect the money?Was the money fixed etc.Thankyou.
peter harrison

Re: Pension

Postby Waggoner » September 30th, 2012, 12:31 am

Peter,

Have you tried to locate his discharge papers? They will show how much the pension was. As for distribution, I havevseen references to notices in newspapers telling pensioners when and where to report to receive their money.

All the best,

Gary
Waggoner

Postby OXFORDMON » September 30th, 2012, 7:56 pm

I would imagine the amount of pension received depended on length of service etc, James Oddy of the 43rd served 19 years and received 2 shillings 6 pence. I'm not sure where he would have collected it, it seems he may have been receiving it from the local vicar, i wonder if this was common??

If there were more pensioners than places available in the Hospital, eligible ex-soldiers who could not be housed in the Hospital were termed out-pensioners, receiving their pension from the Royal Hospital but living outside it. In-pensioners, by contrast, surrendered their army pension and lived within the Royal Hospital.

Andy
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby peter harrison » October 6th, 2012, 1:13 pm

Waggoner wrote:Peter,

Have you tried to locate his discharge papers? They will show how much the pension was. As for distribution, I havevseen references to notices in newspapers telling pensioners when and where to report to receive their money.

All the best,

Gary

Hi Gary,Thanks for your reply.I have William`s Discharge Papers,but it doesn`t have any pension figures written on them-at least I can`t see them.He joined the 56th Foot in 1804 and left in 1827.What if he couldn`t read?He put a cross on the papers,so I`m assuming he couldn`t.
peter harrison

Return to Other Military & Naval Matters