Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Oh...Fother!

For all discussions relating to other military and naval matters of the Napoleonic period not covered by the above.

Re: Oh...Fother!

Postby unclearthur » June 11th, 2014, 8:04 pm

Thanks, chaps.

I've come across the 'rope' thing. I suspect short lengths of light gauge rope or string were sewn in, probably a bit like making a rug, and when these were frayed they help with sealing the sail/ship join. It must have taken ages to stitch a decent sized patch - a bit of a pain if your ship's taking water and you don't have one ready!

I'm still not sure how Michael's second set of ropes would be passed under the ship, which is the main query: do that and fixing the fother in place should be (relatively) straightforward.

What we need is a copy of 'Fothering for Dummies'. :lol:
unclearthur
Veteran Member

Postby Josh&Historyland » June 11th, 2014, 10:00 pm

Hence Cook slathered it instead of stitching rope to it I guess. If only there was such a book! :D

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby Bobsentry » June 12th, 2014, 4:29 pm

I saw something like this in either Hornblower or Master and Commander they had a hole below the waterline and put something similar over the side to block it.
I think the impression they gave was that the pile of sail cloth and rope was sucked into the hole first and then a sail patch placed over the hole and held in place with ropes until they were able to beach it and repair.
Not much help but seems to support the idea of bits of rope stitched to a sail cloth to ram into the hole, I guess if it was just a sail it would just get sucked in completely but the addition of the frayed rope blocks the hole and just get tighter with the water pressures.
Cheers Bob
History is a window we can only look through
Bobsentry

Postby terry1956 » June 12th, 2014, 10:12 pm

have a look at this link, gives some idea. Michael
www.admiralyacht.com/admiral-news/crash ... at-pdfs/...
terry1956

Postby Bobsentry » June 13th, 2014, 7:35 pm

Hi
It was Hornblower I watched the episode tonight and allowing for drama for drama sake it would seem that the idea was to block the hole with the rope laden sale cloth by using water pressure.
Hope that helps
Bobsentry

Postby Bobsentry » June 13th, 2014, 7:38 pm

Do they insure against holes caused by French cannon balls or give a free fothering kit to every enquirer instead of a Parker pen??
Bobsentry

Postby unclearthur » June 16th, 2014, 8:00 pm

I've an unwatched box set of Hornblower - I'll have to trundle through them.

That's one of the problems being fussy about researching small things. It's a bit like cavalry stuff where a lot of information was 'assumed knowledge' and never written down :(
unclearthur
Veteran Member

Previous

Return to Other Military & Naval Matters