Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

The Sea Fencibles

For all discussions regarding the home fronts (e.g. matters relating to the militia, fencibles, volunteers, yeomanry etc.) during the Napoleonic period.

The Sea Fencibles

Postby TheBibliophile » January 24th, 2016, 10:34 am

Hi all,
During the week I purchased an index to the admiralty records for the sea fencibles established on the northumberland and durham coast. Its very dry.... lists names, locations, months attended drill and pay list location in admiralty records.
Sea fencibles were a kind of TA/militia/dads army made up of people in protected professions at the coast or who could otherwise not be pressed.
They met once a month for drill and were armed with pikes. What use that would have been im not sure.

Id like to find out more, so if anyone has already read up on sea fencibles, let me know.

Bib
:D
TheBibliophile
Veteran Member

Re: The Sea Fencibles

Postby jf42 » January 24th, 2016, 11:04 am

Presumably they were relying heavily on the principle that "Frenchee did not like it up 'em
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Postby TheBibliophile » January 24th, 2016, 1:15 pm

jf42 wrote:Presumably they were relying heavily on the principle that "Frenchee did not like it up 'em

I suppose with the long sideburns and plaits, some regiments might be fuzziewuzzies :)

Be careful where you point that pike, Pike, you stupid boy :D
TheBibliophile
Veteran Member

Postby Waggoner » January 24th, 2016, 2:08 pm

We had sea fencibles here too. I have seen them described as "marines". They seem to have been formed in sea-side areas for coastal defence. Presumably they were capable of fighting on-shore and off-shore in small boats. Hope this helps a bit.

All the best,

Gary
Last edited by Waggoner on January 24th, 2016, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waggoner

Postby TheBibliophile » January 24th, 2016, 2:24 pm

Waggoner wrote:We had sea fencibles here too. I have seen them described as "marines". They seem to have been formed in sea-side areas for coastel defence. Presumably they were capable of fighting on-shore and off-shore in small boats. Hope this helps a bit.

All the best,

Gary

Hi Gary, yeah, I saw that, I think both Canadians and Americans used them, the latter during the Civil War....
TheBibliophile
Veteran Member

Postby Dave G » February 10th, 2016, 10:23 am

Hi folks,

In case you weren't aware, Fencibles have actually been discussed here on another board - see viewtopic.php?f=54&t=866&start=20. Perhaps it doesn't add anything to the sum of human knowledge....

Dave
Dave G

Postby charnock » July 13th, 2016, 4:59 pm

I note some pretty notable names (at least to aficionados of the Royal Navy in the Napoleonic Wars) in the list of 1805 Sea Fencible captains that is given as a link on the other Fencible thread...people like George Bowen, Philip Beaver and George Collier. When the Sea Fencibles were disbanded in 1809-10, one of the criticisms of their disestablishment was that they provided a lot of jobs for captains who would otherwise be unemployed, given the mismatch between numbers of captains on the post list (perhaps seven or eight hundred) and the number of ships in commission requiring a post captain (less than 300?). One informed critic also felt that the Fencibles provided a useful last line of defence, and acted as a pool of reserves for the Navy (a number participated in the attack in Copenhagen in 1807).
charnock

Return to The Home Fronts