Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Fencibles and their role?

For all discussions regarding the home fronts (e.g. matters relating to the militia, fencibles, volunteers, yeomanry etc.) during the Napoleonic period.

Fencibles and their role?

Postby Mark » March 29th, 2012, 9:21 pm

Can anyone supply or point me in the right direction regarding Fencibles? I must admit my knowledge of these units is rather lacking and would be interested to learn more.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: Fencibles and their role?

Postby Waggoner » March 29th, 2012, 10:30 pm

Mark,

My understanding is that Fencibles were organized, equipped and paid as regulars but they were not liable for unlimited service. Normally, they could only be employed within a specific geographic area. For example, in British North America, their service was restricted to this area. Thus we saw the Nova Scotia Regiment of Fencible Infantry serving in Newfoundland. Hope this helps.

All the best,

Gary
Waggoner

Postby Mark » March 29th, 2012, 10:45 pm

Thanks, Gary! I have always found Fencibles to be slightly confusing. It is easy to understand how the regular army and militia worked but Fencibles was something else.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby OXFORDMON » March 30th, 2012, 8:45 pm

"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » March 30th, 2012, 8:49 pm

Cheers, Andy! :)

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby pelican » October 20th, 2013, 9:47 pm

Has anyone please got anything at all on the Yorkshire Light Dragoons listed by the War Office as a Fencible dated1779-1783.
Anything at all would be appreciated.Andy.
pelican

Postby OXFORDMON » October 21st, 2013, 6:38 pm

pelican wrote:Has anyone please got anything at all on the Yorkshire Light Dragoons listed by the War Office as a Fencible dated1779-1783.
Anything at all would be appreciated.Andy.

A warm welcome to the forum Andy, hopefully someone can give you some information.

Andy
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby terry1956 » October 23rd, 2013, 7:40 pm

Fencibles also acted as a sort of police force.i think it fair to say that the French revolution put the wind up the english establishment.no less then 86000 men got formed into home defence units.one of the reasons why the field army was so small.michael
terry1956

Postby jasonubych » October 23rd, 2013, 8:42 pm

Fencible Regiments were raised for defence of the Country in a time of crisis, hence the name and not meant to serve abroad but were raised for home defence, making it a safer option than a spell in the west indies.
As mentioned before, this was a serious drain on recruits when the regular army was stretched to the limits, so all of these regiments were disbanded from 1997-1802.
When in 1803 we were again at war, most battalions were then authorised to raise a second battalion. The second battalions were mainly stationed at home for training and recruiting and also for home defence.
Im pretty sure a high number of theses men from the fencible regiments who were young and fit went on to serve in the regular army, as did the militia regiments sending over 100,000 men between 1805 and 1814.
Some of these 2nd battalions also got called up to serve abroad when thing got desperate, like at waterloo the 69th foots 2nd Battalion had over 159 boys not yet 18!, things didnt go well.
jason
jasonubych
Participating Member

Postby unclearthur » October 23rd, 2013, 8:59 pm

This might be of interest to Pelican

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YEOMANRY-OF-EAST-RIDING-1993-BEVERLEY-MILITARY-YORKSHIRE-/190679370626?pt=Antiquarian_Books_UK&hash=item2c65604b82

I have a curb bit with bosses to the Yorkshire Hussars, but it's Victorian, so not for this forum ;)
unclearthur
Veteran Member

Next

Return to The Home Fronts