Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Suggestions for the 200th anniversary of Waterloo

Please feel free to post any feedback and suggestions for making improvements to the forum here.

Re: Suggestions for the 200th anniversary of Waterloo

Postby Mark » June 24th, 2013, 10:15 pm

I like the idea of something that is long lasting and will still be around for years to come.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby jf42 » June 25th, 2013, 2:31 pm

I wonder if a laurel wreath rather than poppies might be more appropriate, if that thought found favour.
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Postby Mark » June 25th, 2013, 3:12 pm

jf42 wrote:I wonder if a laurel wreath rather than poppies might be more appropriate, if that thought found favour.

Yes a laurel wreath would be more appropriate to the period since poppies are associated with WW1 onwards.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby OXFORDMON » June 25th, 2013, 3:54 pm

Mark wrote:
jf42 wrote:I wonder if a laurel wreath rather than poppies might be more appropriate, if that thought found favour.

Yes a laurel wreath would be more appropriate to the period since poppies are associated with WW1 onwards.

Mark

Poppy wreaths have been used in every bicentennial event in the Peninsular since 2008, but I appreciate that a laurel wreath would be as appropriate.

Andy
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » June 25th, 2013, 5:50 pm

Plaque wise I am thinking it will need to be of bronze (or other lasting material) but where could it be installed/placed?

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Banker » June 26th, 2013, 8:37 am

Mark, Metal composition will need careful consideration. The last thing we want is for it to be stolen and melted etc.

Is it something that could be on the battlefield? Is their any current markers there etc? Not sure the lay of the land Im afraid

Regards Steve
Researcher of Australians at War and Collector of Victorian Campaign Medals
Banker
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » June 26th, 2013, 12:27 pm

Perhaps someone more local to the Waterloo area like Dominique could find out for us. I can't imagine they will just let us stick a plaque somewhere willy-nilly but the local authorities might be willing to discuss a proper place for one. Also I agree with the metal composition - metal prices are high at the moment and therefore the target of thieves. There is much thinking to be done!

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby John Waller » June 26th, 2013, 1:39 pm

Banker wrote:Mark, Metal composition will need careful consideration. The last thing we want is for it to be stolen and melted etc.

Is it something that could be on the battlefield? Is their any current markers there etc? Not sure the lay of the land Im afraid

Regards Steve

Steve, there are many, many, markers, memorials, plaques etc around the battlefield. I was once told that there were over 200! Perhaps we could help fund a replacement of the crucifix that was stolen from the Guards chapel at Hougomont or one of the other memorial plaques that have been stolen in recent years? Or contribute to the restoration of one of the many monuments that need it? I was there at the weekend for the re-enactment and while some have been restored many more are in need of work.
John Waller
Participating Member

Postby Mark » June 26th, 2013, 6:17 pm

I like the idea of helping raise funds to go towards restoration/repair projects at Waterloo. However, I think many such fundraising organisations exist and I would ask members who wish to do this to consider supporting Project Hougoumont.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » June 28th, 2013, 7:07 am

Andrew wrote:I think a plaque is a really good idea; happy to contribute. Forum Website address to be included!

I agree with Andrew on all three points. The forum url is easily incorporated into a QR.

On [free] http://www.visualead.com/qr-code-generator/select/ you can place the qr on an image. I tried to work it onto my infantryman avatar as a sample but it was too small. But another black shako would work well. Or a golden shell, cannon etc. It doesn't have to be just a white & black blob.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Feedback & Suggestions