Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

topics that need covering?

Please feel free to post any feedback and suggestions for making improvements to the forum here.

topics that need covering?

Postby DavidB » May 14th, 2011, 6:16 pm

Right at the beginning, before the forum takes off, I'll offer these suggestions up for discussion.
It struck me that certain topics may fall between the cracks of the various subforums, yet should be covered somewhere. Some examples:
- The British expedition to invade the Spanish colonies in South America 1806-07
- Likewise the expeditions to take the Cape of Good Hope, Ceylon, Java from the Dutch
- Irish rebellion of 1798
- The various British operations in India, eg Seringapatam 1799, Wellesley's campaigns in the 2nd Maratha War (Assaye, Argaum, Gawilghur...).
The last one there may be a controversial suggestion as the British were confronting hostile native rulers, but a measure of French influence certainly existed encouraging hostilities to divert british resources from Europe.
None of these topics fall specifically into the topic of war between Britain and France, but they are part of the picture nonetheless.
Last edited by DavidB on May 14th, 2011, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidB
Forum Moderator

Re: topics that need covering?

Postby DavidB » May 14th, 2011, 6:29 pm

I see you have subforums for uniforms & equipment, weapons and tactics.
Perhaps others may include:
- fortifications, coastal defences, military engineering, siegecraft (I'm thinking forts, martellos towers, military canals etc in the UK, lines of Torres Vedras, the big fortresses on the continent and all the rest)
- communication and intelligence
- medical services
- the "Home" Front (militia, fencibles, volunteers, yeomanry etc)

Again, just looking to start a discussion on other possible topics for inclusion.
:)
DavidB
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » May 15th, 2011, 12:00 am

Thanks for the suggestions, David! That is just the kind of thing we are looking for - especially so early on in the development of the forum. I will most certainly be taking a close look at each one and see where best to fit them in :)

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby DavidB » May 15th, 2011, 8:36 am

Just throwing things out there Mark! :D
The division into War of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th Coalition etc, works well in some cases, but not so much in others.
The Peninsular War is a case in point spanning the period 1808-14, and I would argue it's awkward to try to split it up between subforums.
Let's say for example, I want to post a topic about the early stages of the Peninsular War (Rolica, Vimiera, Sahagun in 1808 for example). Simply going by the year, I'd have no idea which subforum to put it in at the moment. Same with events from 1810 & 1811.
DavidB
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » May 15th, 2011, 12:19 pm

Hi David

Yes, I know what you mean and it did go through my mind when setting them up. Would you suggest amalgamating some of the sub-forums? If so which ones?

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby DavidB » May 15th, 2011, 2:00 pm

Its certainly difficult to come up with a scheme that encompasses everything adequately. For what it's worth, my suggestion is as follows:
- Background & Causes
- French revolutionary wars 1972-97
- War of 2nd Coalition & Egypt campaign 1798-1802
- War between Britain and others (France, Spain, Holland, Denmark etc) 1803-14 except Peninsular war
- War of 3rd Coalition 1805
- War of 4th Coalition 1806-07
- Peninsular War 1808-14
- War of 5th Coalition 1809
- Invasion of Russia 1812
- War of 6th Coalition 1812-14
- War of 1812 (Britain vs US)
- 7th Coalition/Hundred Days
- Other miscellaneous conflicts, eg India 1799-1804, Irish Rebellion 1798
- Aftermath & Legacy

...which is pretty close to your scheme all things considered. My view though is that the Peninsular War is far more worthy of being singled out that the Gunboat War, which is part of the conflict between Britain & Denmark. Some would say not the most interesting part either as it omits 1st battle of Copenhagen 1801 & 2nd battle of Copenhagen 1807. It would all sit naturally in the category of war between Britain and others, along with Buenos Aires 1807, Cape of Good Hope 1796 etc.
I would also add a "miscellaneous" category (whatever it should be called) for campaigns that are related but don't easily sit in any other category.
David
DavidB
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » May 15th, 2011, 3:53 pm

Hi David

Thanks again for the suggestions! I've done a little tinkering with the structure, let me know what you think?

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby theringokid » March 30th, 2014, 8:11 pm

One thing I have not seen here--or have yet to see it-as im new--is a section devoted to Orders of Battle for all Armies and Navies involved-with the Napoleonic Wars. Having them here would make some things easier to research and learn about. Just my opinion based on what ive seen on other sites.
Descendent of Alamo defender and Ordnance Officer: Robert Evans. You gents are gone, but never forgotten.
theringokid

Postby Josh&Historyland » March 30th, 2014, 8:22 pm

That would take some effort on the part of members, or at least some epic copy and paste skills, but I like the idea. It would give a place for members to put such research... Could such info be put in our armies section though, would this be a better thing for a thread. We already have sweeping topics such as the Photographs of Napoleonic Veterans pages etc.

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby theringokid » March 30th, 2014, 9:22 pm

Josh&Historyland wrote:That would take some effort on the part of members, or at least some epic copy and paste skills, but I like the idea. It would give a place for members to put such research... Could such info be put in our armies section though, would this be a better thing for a thread. We already have sweeping topics such as the Photographs of Napoleonic Veterans pages etc.

Josh.

I might be able to help there a bit as I do collect OrBats--but mainly from other wars. I do find them very useful in research and other things.
Descendent of Alamo defender and Ordnance Officer: Robert Evans. You gents are gone, but never forgotten.
theringokid

Next

Return to Feedback & Suggestions