Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Help promoting the forum

Please feel free to post any feedback and suggestions for making improvements to the forum here.

Help promoting the forum

Postby Mark » May 17th, 2011, 9:39 pm

Hi All

As a newly launched forum we obviously need to promote ourselves on the internet and elsewhere in order for those interested in the Napoleonic period to find us. As the owner of this site I have submitted the URL to the various search engines and sent some emails to Napoleonic Wars related web sites to alert them of our existence. However, the best way to spread the news of our new exciting forum is by word of mouth - or at least the modern email or other electronic version of it! Please do let friends and other contacts know of the NWF if you think they would find it of interest. The more interested members we can attract the more interesting the forum becomes for us all.

Thank you all for your interest and help and I look forward to this forum being a success :)

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: Help promoting the forum

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » June 24th, 2011, 1:40 pm

Adding a favicon [favorites icon] helps brand a site on a viewer's tab bar. It's an 'avatar' for the site, a small, often coloured image that is shown inside the browser's location bar and bookmark menu when a site is called up. As it is, you [and the VWF] have the same favicon as many other, unrelated, sites.

Dynamic Drive has a reliable, free download: http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/favicon/

The emblem in the heading of your VWF would make a good favicon for that site.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » June 25th, 2011, 3:43 pm

Thanks, Sarah! I really like this idea and will give it a go :)

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby theringokid » March 30th, 2014, 8:59 pm

If you dont mind a few suggestions? Ive seen these done on other sites which have helped in not only promoting the sites, but also have increased participation in all of them.

1) Have an Off Topic section. Reason for that, is it allows others to talk about other things than just one subject-and still participate on this site.

2) Create a section that also can be a place to discuss anything dealing with movies and plays-put on that are talking place and are about the Napoleonic Wars. That's an area I can easily participate in. :-))

3) Create a section showing the various Orders of Battle-for all participants who were part of the Napoleonic Wars. Research made easier and a great learning tool.

4) Create a system to award people for participating on the site. I.e. When a person passes a participation postings milestone-give them a "reward" for participating. Rewards like-a little rank icon, for postings passed as well as icon sized Napoleonic era medals--which in turn, will or may cause others to want to learn more about them.

The below examples are actually 75-80% smaller when awarded on the site I got these from.

The icons would look like these examples in size:
Rank insignia:
The above of course-just examples from Imperial times to modern and most are Imperial German, WWII German and Bundeswehr stuff. Some are Russian, Belgian, French, etc and some of the above--date back to Pre-Napoleonic Wars-to during and after.

Of course--using the appropriate period awards and insignias.
Last edited by theringokid on March 31st, 2014, 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Descendent of Alamo defender and Ordnance Officer: Robert Evans. You gents are gone, but never forgotten.
theringokid

Postby Josh&Historyland » March 30th, 2014, 9:34 pm

We have ranks but no badges, it's an interesting idea.

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby theringokid » March 31st, 2014, 3:08 am

Here are what ive earned from just one site in particular: Both for passing posting milestones as well as for contributions to the forums:
Posting milestones:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Forums achievement awards:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Of course, they are about 75% smaller than actually seen here.
Descendent of Alamo defender and Ordnance Officer: Robert Evans. You gents are gone, but never forgotten.
theringokid

Postby Mark » April 2nd, 2014, 5:22 pm

My thoughts/answers below in red.

1) Have an Off Topic section. Reason for that, is it allows others to talk about other things than just one subject-and still participate on this site.
We did this over Christmas and the New Year period for a few days and it proved popular. However, there are no plans to do this on a permanent basis due to the additional work it causes forum staff.

2) Create a section that also can be a place to discuss anything dealing with movies and plays-put on that are talking place and are about the Napoleonic Wars. That's an area I can easily participate in. :-))
We can certainly look into this and see how best to provide an appropriate section/sub-forum to accommodate such discussion.

3) Create a section showing the various Orders of Battle-for all participants who were part of the Napoleonic Wars. Research made easier and a great learning tool.
Something that we have thought about for a while and will certainly do.

4) Create a system to award people for participating on the site. I.e. When a person passes a participation postings milestone-give them a "reward" for participating. Rewards like-a little rank icon, for postings passed as well as icon sized Napoleonic era medals--which in turn, will or may cause others to want to learn more about them.
This was discussed over on our sister-forum in the past but experiences on other forums show that is encourages some members to post just in order to gain a higher rank or badge etc. As a result the quality of some posts/threads decrease. Also what rank system would we use? We are an international forum and one set of ranks/badges may not appeal to others.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby theringokid » April 2nd, 2014, 8:42 pm

Mark wrote:My thoughts/answers below in red.

We did this over Christmas and the New Year period for a few days and it proved popular. However, there are no plans to do this on a permanent basis due to the additional work it causes forum staff.

We can certainly look into this and see how best to provide an appropriate section/sub-forum to accommodate such discussion.

Something that we have thought about for a while and will certainly do.

This was discussed over on our sister-forum in the past but experiences on other forums show that is encourages some members to post just in order to gain a higher rank or badge etc. As a result the quality of some posts/threads decrease. Also what rank system would we use? We are an international forum and one set of ranks/badges may not appeal to others.

Mark

Hi Mark, heres a few counters with ideas.

First, thanks for a detailed reply, I greatly appreciate it.

If you get Nr 2 started? I can contribute much more in that area then in some areas. I have and or access to many images and such dealing with the appropriate areas of interest.

On Nr 4) Thats easy to remedy--let only a Mod or Admin judge a persons merits. Im a Mod on another site thats been around for about 4 years and have had no troubles for awards system. If anyone looked like they were just posting to gain a reward? it would be addressed.

On the actual deal about medals and insignias--had no probs there either. We were in fact, trying to get a system up where a person could choose the awards and such from a Country of their choice--but thats still a ways off-so its remedied by a Mod or Admin awarding something from a country they see the member posts the most in.

The main thing on the awarding of awards--it is used also as a learning tool.

However, I completely understand reasons not to have them.
theringokid

Return to Feedback & Suggestions