Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

The new Hougoumont monument :

Section for all discussions and the posting of photographs or links regarding Napoleonic related monuments, war memorials and graves located around the world.

The new Hougoumont monument :

Postby Iain » December 24th, 2014, 2:33 pm

Hi All ! Admin..., please bin this if it has already been posted somewhere. ;)
It looks great !

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... t-one.html

Wellington's heroes finally win Waterloo memorial on Belgian battlefield - 100 years after the French got one
200 years on, there is still no memorial on the site to commemorate the bravery of British troops who fought and died there
Monument designed by Vivien Mallock will open on the battlefield in Belgium next year
Work will feature two British soldiers and quotes from the Duke of Wellington, who led the British forces
Iain

Re: The new Hougoumont monument :

Postby OXFORDMON » December 24th, 2014, 4:45 pm

"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » December 24th, 2014, 8:28 pm

Good to see it, and I like the design, but still cannot get my head around the wording.

Anyway, a fantastic step forward, so very welcome.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Iain » January 3rd, 2015, 4:32 pm

Hi Marc !

On the right, it probably speaks for itself ! On the left, if I’m not mistaken, is a phrase either said my Wellington or, someone in a similar situation following a victory.

In fact, it’s because of the inscription that I’m on this site today and writing a book about the farm !
As a Scots Guardsman, (“when a Guardsman, always a Guardsman”) and wandering the farm and the highroad for the past 40 years, I was bewildered by the fact that my Regiment was always referred to by their ‘Waterloo’ name..., never any mention of the Scots Guards. On the other hand, the Coldstream Guards are continually being referred to as the Coldstream Guards. (for obvious reasons) And this always annoyed me !
Concerning philanthropists wishing to assist the regiments who participated in the battle..., who would they give their money to ? The Lily Whites of course..., and not some ‘defunct’ regiment (like the 'Grenadier Guards'..., the 1st Regiment of Foot Guards) with titles lost throughout the pages of all the history books !

Anyway, when RHQ informed me that there was to be a monument for the occasion, (north gate garden next to the SG plaque) you can imagine the hairs on my back !
Even the Regimental Adjutant Colonel Vandeleur of the Coldstream Guards wrote to me saying that even he was unaware of what was to be engraved on the monument.

In the meantime, I now know for a fact that it was certainly not my ‘excitement’ about my ‘missing’ Scots Guards regiment that the inscription is simple and to the point.
This simplicity is obviously a text created by the Hougoumont Comity many years ago !

..., Iain.
Iain

Postby Josh&Historyland » January 4th, 2015, 1:43 pm

Hi Ian.

The Battle lost quote is indeed by Wellington, I'm not sure if it's the exact words he used I believe he used the word melancholy, but you are correct. I think Wheeler's quote is admirably suited.

My issue was when I thought this was a monument to all British soldiers, I now think it is to all those who defended Hougoumont and in saying that I would have replaced the Battle lost quote with "No troops but the British could have held Hougoumont and only the best of them at that" or better "The success of the battle of Waterloo turned on the closing of the gates at Hougoumont"

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby jf42 » January 4th, 2015, 8:25 pm

Well, the issue over the Coldstream Regiment of Foot Guards declining to be known as the 2nd Foot Guards is well known, as we have touched on elsewhere.

I imagine anyone wanting to make some sort of contribution- for better or worse, not necessarily the most common reaction of visitors to the battlefield- would possibly be well enough informed already as to the present status of the Foot Guards regiments involved.

We can console ourselves with the fact that all veterans of the battle will, by now, have gone to their reward.
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Return to Napoleonic Monuments, War Memorials & Graves