Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Waterloo Guides

Section for all discussions and the posting of photographs or links regarding Napoleonic related monuments, war memorials and graves located around the world.

Waterloo Guides

Postby rclpillinger » June 22nd, 2015, 1:50 pm

I have just come across the following passage in the Editors Notes of the 10th Royal Hussars Gazette of which my Grandfather was the first Editor from its inception in 1906 until he retired, time expired, in 1913.:

He writes: A medical Officer, who has just returned to Rawal Pindi from leave in Europe, brought greetings from and Old Tenth, Sergeant-Major J Walsh, who is now the Official Guide to the Field of Waterloo. He left the Regiment on appointment to the permanent staff of the Oxfordshire Yeomanry in 1886.

Richard
Last edited by rclpillinger on June 22nd, 2015, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rclpillinger

Re: Waterloo Guides

Postby Josh&Historyland » June 22nd, 2015, 5:11 pm

The First British battlefield guide was Sgt Major Cotton, who opened a musuem on the field which was full of artifacts. He was succeeded sometime around 1850 or 60 by Sgt Major Munday, I wonder if Sgt Maj Walshtook over in the capacity as warden of the Cotton museum. It's interesting because both previous men were of the 7th Hussars and were veterans of identical rank.

Of course there were other guides hanging around, such as Ms. Decoster, who regularly took important visitors around the field and regaled them with his stories of Napoleon.

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Return to Napoleonic Monuments, War Memorials & Graves