Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

2013-15 Bicentennial's

Section for discussing events that have been organised to mark Napoleonic bicentenaries.

2013-15 Bicentennial's

Postby OXFORDMON » January 1st, 2013, 5:19 pm

I wondered if any members are planning to be present at any bicentennial commemorations during 2013 ?

I am hoping to be at Vitoria and the Nivelle 'on the day,' whats your plan......

Andy
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Re: 2013 Bicentennial's

Postby berto » January 1st, 2013, 10:40 pm

This year I will be also in the bicentenary of the battle of Vitoria! :D
berto

Postby Waggoner » January 2nd, 2013, 12:23 am

I will be involved with the commemoration of the 200th anniverary of the start of the epic march of the 104th (New Brunswick) Regiment of Foot from Fredericton, NB to Kingston, UC (Ontario). They left in company groups on six succesive days staring on 16 February 1813. I wll bevable to provide more details in a week orbtwo.

All the best,

Gary
Waggoner

Postby OXFORDMON » January 2nd, 2013, 9:08 pm

Thanks guys, keep them coming.... :)

Andy
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby Txapo » January 3rd, 2013, 4:47 pm

Of courseI'll be at Vitoria the whole summer and probably San Sebastian for the bicentenary.

If anyone needs help or advice or do you want me to organice a meal, dinner trip to Rioja wine region, or anything I'm at your service (and as well the other gides of the asociation I'm part).
Txapo
Participating Member

Re: 2013-15 Bicentennial's

Postby Txapo » June 5th, 2013, 6:36 pm

So on the bicentenary how many of you are going to be at Vitoria?? we could have a drink together by napoleon house at 17:30 on the 22nd.

Prado Cafe/Parque del Prado, Paseo de Fray Fancisco is a nice place only 1,6 KM away from the place where reanacment will be at 19:00,... Actually we are meeting there with other members of the napoleonic local society.
Txapo
Participating Member

Postby OXFORDMON » June 9th, 2013, 11:52 am

Txapo wrote:So on the bicentenary how many of you are going to be at Vitoria??

I will be there from 20th - 23rd, not sure yet where I will be at what time, but certainly at the drum head service at Knoll de Ariñez.

Andy
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby Txapo » June 9th, 2013, 3:11 pm

OXFORDMON wrote:
Txapo wrote:So on the bicentenary how many of you are going to be at Vitoria??

I will be there from 20th - 23rd, not sure yet where I will be at what time, but certainly at the drum head service at Knoll de Ariñez.

Andy

I meet you theere if not before! that's me by the way! http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TdPAdh7fXHQ/U ... atalla.jpg
Txapo
Participating Member

Postby Lt.Campers » June 9th, 2013, 6:18 pm

Txapo wrote:So on the bicentenary how many of you are going to be at Vitoria?? we could have a drink together by napoleon house at 17:30 on the 22nd.

Prado Cafe/Parque del Prado, Paseo de Fray Fancisco is a nice place only 1,6 KM away from the place where re-enactment will be at 19:00,... Actually we are meeting there with other members of the napoleonic local society.

Hi Txapo,

Would love to join you for that drink at Prado Cafe/Parque del Prado. As you know I''ve been following the
Napoleonic campaigns in the Spanish Peninsula, since Rolica and Vimeiro back in August 2008.
It's proved to be 'a long war' following the re-enactments on Back to Napoleonic & Peninsular Wars,
putting all the individual re-enactments into their 'historic context, with references to Sharpe and
Hornblower ( along the way, Lol ) to add a dash of spice to the proceedings.

The only thing is, I'm driving a British car in Spain which is ok driving from say Asturias to Santander
but heavy going clambering up and down those hills/mountains between Santander and Bilbao.
Of course the occasional road signs in Basque, can be confusing but I'll probably get used to it.
Like most Brits, my car prefers the gently undulating landscape of England.
So beginning to think I should have left my old car in England and hired a Spanish one instead.
The first in the field and the last from the Taverna
Lt.Campers

Postby Txapo » June 10th, 2013, 7:52 am

Lt.Campers wrote:
The only thing is, I'm driving a British car in Spain which is ok driving from say Asturias to Santander
but heavy going clambering up and down those hills/mountains between Santander and Bilbao.
Of course the occasional road signs in Basque, can be confusing but I'll probably get used to it.
Like most Brits, my car prefers the gently undulating landscape of England.
So beginning to think I should have left my old car in England and hired a Spanish one instead.

Don't worry, Bilbao is Bilbao in basque, so you carry on always eastwards towards Bilbao, then near Bilbao you'll see signs at the highway VITORIA-GASTEIZ as the oficial name this days is in both languages with a - half an hour after Bilbao you'll be in Vitoria.

On the 21st afternoon I plan to do a private battlefield tour (arround 17:00) for some friends of mine from Nottingham and then proceed to Lapuebla to greet the reanactors see how they burn the church and storm the village at night as planned, is planned that they will be getting free pintxo with every drink there at the local bars. I will set up a merchandasing place there, and again on the morning of the 22nd. So we can greet as well in Lapuebla. (The powder distribution will start in the moring and the battle for the bridge will last 12:00 to 14:00).
Txapo
Participating Member

Return to Napoleonic Bicentenaries