Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

National perceptions of Waterloo.

For all posts regarding the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo | 1815 - 2015.

National perceptions of Waterloo.

Postby Josh&Historyland » November 8th, 2014, 6:31 pm

I was wondering if any of our members from the Netherlands, Belgium, France, or Germany could tell me how their nations perceive Waterloo?

A similar Twitter enquiry received the following results.
Germany: No real interest taken in Waterloo an indeed pre 1933.
Netherlands: No notable perception.

I've not heard how Belgium or France feels. But of course a semi knowledgable Brit will take a certain amount of national pride in the memory of Wellington and Waterloo.

But after hearing this from knowledgable historians. I began thinking, it's no wonder that Waterloo is usually remembered as a British victory, they seem to be the only ones who even care! Much "Who won Waterloo" debate is carried out In English, is it even the fault of British historians monopolising and trumping their own side, were they to know that they were alone in their shouting?

Until the late 20th century only the French seem to have bothered shouting back. I'd love to get more feedback.

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member
 
Posts: 1807
Joined: March 2nd, 2013, 1:14 pm

Re: National perceptions of Waterloo.

Postby Digby » January 22nd, 2017, 3:51 am

Josh
Lots of views but no replies.
I wonder how many members on here are from those countries?
You asked how those members feel about Waterloo.
And you seemed to ask what people in those countries think about Waterloo.
History recedes pretty quickly.
Eg I am a WWI and WWII fan as well, but todays young ones here in NZ do not know much about WWI other than Gallipoli and WWII other than Monte Casino.
I know a lady from the Philipines who did not even know what a King was (they are used to Presidents). The Romans, The Vikings?
She knows the Japanese invaded her country, and she knows that MacArthur came back but did not know it was part of World War Two. She is too busy working and studying accounting and saving up to buy a house.
Digby
New Member
 
Posts: 82
Joined: August 21st, 2016, 5:01 am

Re: National perceptions of Waterloo.

Postby jf42 » January 22nd, 2017, 1:07 pm

I think the fact that the French invasion was derailed on the south bank of the Thames, just a stone's throw from both the Towers of London Bridge and Big Ben, explains a great deal about British attitudes towards the battle of Waterloo.

"A close run thing," indeed. By God, sir. So it was.
Last edited by jf42 on January 23rd, 2017, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
jf42
Senior Veteran Member
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: June 23rd, 2011, 10:17 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: National perceptions of Waterloo.

Postby Digby » January 22nd, 2017, 5:20 pm

I met some young French guys here in NZ on holiday, and I told them that my hobby was military history and Napoleon. They said yes ok. Then I said that Marshal Ney was my hero and they did not know what I was talking about!
Next time I meet some European people I'll ask them about Waterloo.
Digby
New Member
 
Posts: 82
Joined: August 21st, 2016, 5:01 am

Re: National perceptions of Waterloo.

Postby Hope » January 23rd, 2017, 4:26 pm

Of possible interest

The Forgotten Victory Germans and the Battle of Waterloo, 1815–2015
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... ode=rusi20

Memories of Defending the Nation Commemorating the Battle of Waterloo in the Netherlands, in 1865
https://www.eshcc.eur.nl/fileadmin/ASSE ... 8-2012.pdf

Quatre-Bras and Waterloo Revisited. A Belgian and Dutch History without Glory
http://1815fieldarmy.nl/images/Zanten.pdf

THE MOBILIZATION OF MEMORY THE BATTLE OF WATERLOO IN GERMAN AND BRITISH MEMORY, 1815-1915
http://opensiuc.lib.siu.edu/cgi/viewcon ... ext=theses

‘No Troops but the British’ British National Identity and the Battle for Waterloo.
https://espace.library.uq.edu.au/view/U ... thesis.pdf
Hope
New Member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: March 31st, 2016, 2:49 pm
Location: Nanjing China

Re: National perceptions of Waterloo.

Postby Josh&Historyland » January 23rd, 2017, 6:39 pm

Digby wrote:Josh
Lots of views but no replies.
I wonder how many members on here are from those countries?
You asked how those members feel about Waterloo.
And you seemed to ask what people in those countries think about Waterloo.
History recedes pretty quickly.
Eg I am a WWI and WWII fan as well, but todays young ones here in NZ do not know much about WWI other than Gallipoli and WWII other than Monte Casino.
I know a lady from the Philipines who did not even know what a King was (they are used to Presidents). The Romans, The Vikings?
She knows the Japanese invaded her country, and she knows that MacArthur came back but did not know it was part of World War Two. She is too busy working and studying accounting and saving up to buy a house.


Hi Digby, yes it's true other priorities can make History seem very unnecessary. One might argue that a nation has come of age when it has the luxury to indulge in its past.

Digby wrote:I met some young French guys here in NZ on holiday, and I told them that my hobby was military history and Napoleon. They said yes ok. Then I said that Marshal Ney was my hero and they did not know what I was talking about!
Next time I meet some European people I'll ask them about Waterloo.
I don't think you'll find anything much more encouraging ABBA is a common response, either that or blank, but positive nodding.

Hope wrote:Of possible interest

The Forgotten Victory Germans and the Battle of Waterloo, 1815–2015
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... ode=rusi20

Memories of Defending the Nation Commemorating the Battle of Waterloo in the Netherlands, in 1865
https://www.eshcc.eur.nl/fileadmin/ASSE ... 8-2012.pdf

Quatre-Bras and Waterloo Revisited. A Belgian and Dutch History without Glory
http://1815fieldarmy.nl/images/Zanten.pdf

THE MOBILIZATION OF MEMORY THE BATTLE OF WATERLOO IN GERMAN AND BRITISH MEMORY, 1815-1915
http://opensiuc.lib.siu.edu/cgi/viewcon ... ext=theses

‘No Troops but the British’ British National Identity and the Battle for Waterloo.
https://espace.library.uq.edu.au/view/U ... thesis.pdf

Very much of interest, Hope. I've come across some of this in fact since 2015.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member
 
Posts: 1807
Joined: March 2nd, 2013, 1:14 pm


Return to Waterloo 200th Anniversary

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron