Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Battle of Waterloo Books (including Ligny and Quatre Bras)

For all posts regarding the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo | 1815 - 2015.

Re: Battle of Waterloo Books (including Ligny and Quatre Bra

Postby unclearthur » September 25th, 2014, 6:37 pm

A Voice from Waterloo: A history of the battle, on the 18th June 1815 by Edward Cotton

This is available on Google Books as a free-to-download Ebook if you've got a Google account.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=e08EAAAAQAAJ&num=13&redir_esc=y
unclearthur
Veteran Member

Postby OXFORDMON » October 10th, 2014, 9:51 pm

"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby Andrew » October 16th, 2014, 7:20 pm

I contributed a chapter to Waterloo The Decisive Victory edited by Nick Lipscombe and have just received my free (!!) copy. This is not a review (as I have that interest in the book), although having received a one-off payment, its sales are irrelevant to me financially. However, I thought I would let members know what they would be getting if they were thinking of investing in it as it is quite expensive.

The idea for the book came from the Waterloo 200 Commitee to mark the bi-centenary of the battle. It is a big book (over 400 pages), well bound and comes in a black card sleeve with gold lettering. It is 25cm x 20cm which makes it squarer than most books and is illustrated throughout with mostly colour prints. Of course, many of these will be very familiar to Waterloo old hands, but I was surprised by how many of them are somewhat less well-known, some of which are excellent.

The foreword is by His Grace the Duke of Wellington and the lengthy introduction by John Snow. Chapters have been written by Jeremy Black (The Strategic Background), Julian Spilsbury (The Battles of Ligny and QB), Philip Haythornthwaite (The Commanders), Mark Adkin (The Armies, their Weapons and Tactics), Natalia Griffon de Pleineville (Eyewitnesses: Different Perspectives), Nick Lipscombe (Hougoumont and La Haye Sainte), Ian Fletcher (The Cavalry Charges), Charles Esdaile (The Prussians), Yours Truly (La Garde Recule!) and Huw Davies (The Legacy of Waterloo). There's also a chronology, bibliography and ORBATs.

You will note from the chapter titles that this is not a detailed, blow by blow account of the battle, but concentrates on certain aspects of it. It is not a result of new research and is therefore very much more of a well illustrated souvenir of the bicentennial of the battle rather than a new account that will appeal to those who have already studied the battle in detail. A well presented book and a really nice souvenir.
Andrew
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby John Franklin » November 30th, 2014, 11:40 am

Just one to add to the lis (being the finest diagnosis of the Waterloo campaign ever writte):

Chesney, Charles Waterloo Lectures. London, 1868.

You must all read this!

John
John Franklin
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby jasonubych » November 30th, 2014, 1:16 pm

Thanks John,

I love old books that are free, https://archive.org/stream/waterloolect ... 7/mode/2up

Jason
jasonubych
Participating Member

Postby OXFORDMON » January 6th, 2015, 5:07 pm

Jan 2015:

Went the Day Well?: Witnessing Waterloo
by David Crane

March 2015:

Of Living Valour: The Story of the Soldiers of Waterloo
by Barney White-Spunner

April 2015:

Waterloo in 100 Objects
by Gareth Glover
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby Feraud » March 6th, 2015, 1:56 pm

Mark wrote:If you know of any good books on the Battle of Waterloo and/or the Hundred Days campaign please post details below.

Barbero, Alessandro, The Battle: A New History of the Battle of Waterloo, Atlantic Books, 2006.

I really suggest this Barbero's book.
It is superb ! Great details and explications of how also small events in a battle could have changed the battle situation and result.
Feraud

Postby Mark » March 10th, 2015, 9:17 am

Yes, Barbero's book is still one of the best on Waterloo in my opinion. Some slightly annoying translations issues, but otherwise very much recommended.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Colin_7 » March 23rd, 2015, 10:33 am

Charles Whiting - Bugles at Dawn (Kindle Edition) published by Endeavour Press Feb 2015
Colin_7

Postby unclearthur » March 23rd, 2015, 8:53 pm

That's a novel suggestion! ;)
unclearthur
Veteran Member

PreviousNext

Return to Waterloo 200th Anniversary