Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Life After Wateloo 200

For all posts regarding the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo | 1815 - 2015.

Life After Wateloo 200

Postby Mark » June 23rd, 2015, 6:26 pm

Having been sent a plethora of Waterloo related books from publishers over the past twelve months - as well as being guilty of adding to the already considerable literature - I think it is fair to say I am a little Waterloo'd out! While I have no doubts I will one day pick up another book on the battle, I certainly think its time for something a little different! Perhaps I am ready to tackle Rory Muir's hefty two-volume biography of Wellington?

Out of interest, how will other members be coping with life after Waterloo 200? ;)

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: Life After Wateloo 200

Postby Josh&Historyland » June 23rd, 2015, 7:34 pm

Muir's book is on the list to read, I started it but only got as far as India before the 1815 madness hit. When I'm all done, which with luck will be after I've written two more posts, I'm going to have a go at compiling the lot into a book and thus with luck add to the literature myself. So after that as far as Napoleonics go I shall probably just mooch about a bit, most likley persue some Peninsular War angles.

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby Mark » June 23rd, 2015, 7:37 pm

A book? Sounds like I may have to add another to my to-read pile in the future ;)

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Kev » June 24th, 2015, 6:13 pm

Life after Waterloo 200 for me includes processing a load of Waterloo images. :D
Kev

Postby janner » June 24th, 2015, 8:04 pm

In a word - Agincourt :lol:
Stephen
janner
Participating Member

Postby Waggoner » June 24th, 2015, 8:09 pm

We visited Agincourt and Crecy a couple of years ago. Fascinating places! The little museum at Crecy was a gem. Good coverage of the battle as well as the WWI RAF airfield and the WWII V1 base.

All the best,

Gary
Waggoner

Postby Senarmont198 » June 24th, 2015, 10:48 pm

I at least attempted to ignore the Waterloo hoopla as it was too overdone.

That isn't to say, however, that I didn't buy my share of Waterloo material, though none of it surpassed the older material in my library.

I did, however, purchase the four Waterloo books edited by Gareth Glover that consisted of material from the participants as well as Andrew Fields two excellent volumes on Quatre Bras and Waterloo. All are excellent and more than useful for further research.

I'm looking forward to getting back to my own research and continuing work, which hopefully will include, in the future, a book on collecting toy and model soldiers.
Senarmont198
Veteran Member

Postby Andrew » June 25th, 2015, 7:49 pm

I've still got one more Waterloo talk to give, then one on French dragoons before I move on...then some local WW1 events.
Andrew
Honorary Academic Advisor

Return to Waterloo 200th Anniversary