Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Did you collect any Waterloo 200th commemorative items?

For all posts regarding the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo | 1815 - 2015.

Did you collect any Waterloo 200th commemorative items?

Postby Mark » July 28th, 2015, 8:18 am

With the 200th anniversary now behind us, I was wondering if members decided to purchase any commemorative items for Waterloo? I bought the official Royal Mint £5 coin and the stamp presentation pack from Royal Mail. Previously, I also acquired the entire coin set from Waterloo200/Worcestershire Medal Services. Finally, as a present I was given the official Guernsey £5 coin.

When I get chance, I will post an image of the set.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: Did you collect any Waterloo 200th commemorative items?

Postby Banker » July 28th, 2015, 9:46 am

I received some lovely book marks :D ;)

But nothing else.

In fact we heard very little here on the events being on the other side of the world - I think I saw about 2 mins on the news and some pictures in the newspaper in the section World News

Regards Steve
Researcher of Australians at War and Collector of Victorian Campaign Medals
Banker
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » July 28th, 2015, 1:31 pm

The bookmarks are lovely ;)

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Owen » July 28th, 2015, 6:23 pm

Hi Mark,

I too bought the commemorative medals and wewere lucky enough to attend St Paul's Cathedral for the Battle of Waterloo Commemoration Service, with seat under the dome just a few rows behind Prince Charles and Camilla. Amazing service in every respect, including the readings of letter extracts (by descendants of Officers and Soldiers at Waterloo, including Wellington and Blucher), music, pomp, ceremony, standards and colours of every regiment that fought at Waterloo carried by Ensigns/Lt's of the descendant regiments etc etc

So, I have my copy of the stunning service guide as a souvenir of something I will remember long into my rocking chair years....the after service Reception at Mansion House was pretty special too!

Did anyone else from here go?

Owen

"How long was I in the army? Five foot eleven" Spike Milligan
Owen
Participating Member

Postby OXFORDMON » July 29th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Owen wrote:So, I have my copy of the stunning service guide as a souvenir of something I will remember long into my rocking chair years....the after service Reception at Mansion House was pretty special too!

I was on the battlefield on the 18th but I did purchase the service program from the service at St Paul's, very nice too! Like Mark I also bought the full set of coins, also the official Waterloo200 souvenir publication, that's about it though. It must have been a wonderful experience Owen, it's a shame they didn't televise the service, or have a DVD or something ....

Andy
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby Owen » July 29th, 2015, 6:11 pm

Hello Andy,

Very jealous, it must have been an amazing spectacle and very special to be there at such an historic moment in time. I dearly wanted to be there, but starting a new job scuppered that. Anyway, St Paul's more than compensated.

I too was surprised it wasn't televised as there were several camera crews inside the Cathedral. All we got was a few minutes on the News.

We weren't allowed to take pictures inside the Cathedral, but I snuck one of the Colour Party on the way out.

Anyway, there are some excellent pictures on the web...if this link works

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=200th+waterloo+st+pauls&client=ms-opera-mini-iphone&channel=new&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAmoVChMIkruryvOAxwIVhW4UCh1wVQYC&biw=1024&bih=658
"How long was I in the army? Five foot eleven" Spike Milligan
Owen
Participating Member

Return to Waterloo 200th Anniversary