Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Three books wanted.

Advertise items for sale or wanted here.

Three books wanted.

Postby Digby » January 25th, 2017, 10:52 pm

I have over the last 4 months been able to purchase most of the recent books on Waterloo that I want.

But there are three books that seem to be very elusive.

They are

John Franklin Waterloo Netherlands Correspondence volume 2
John Franklin Waterloo Hanoverian Correspondence volume 2.

I was very lucky to be able to obtain copies of the first volumes at a reasonable price from Abe books.
But I have yet to see any listing of his volume 2s, but apparently they do exist, but only a very small print run was produced.
(Yet Gareth Glovers 6 volumes of correspondence are readily available.)

Andre Dellevoet - The Dutch-Belgian cavalry at Waterloo - 2008.

I have seen this book listed on Amazon from 250 Euros up to 500 Euros.
That is quite a bit more that I would like to pay.
Do you think that those are fair prices for a now out of print book - or are the sellers greedy speculators?

If any members have copies of these books they no longer require, or know of some other places that I could look, I would be eternally grateful if they would advise me.
Digby

Re: Three books wanted.

Postby Mark » January 26th, 2017, 8:52 am

Hi Digby

John Franklin is a member here. You could try sending him a PM and see if he can help.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Hope » January 28th, 2017, 3:02 pm

Hi Digby,
The books you list above is exactly what I also want to have.
We already know, Franklin is going to re-issue both volumes of the Netherlands and Hanoverian correspondence.
If I didn't get it wrong, The Dutch-Belgian cavalry at Waterloo was self-published by the author. Here is the site of the book, which I found by chance
http://decavalerie.blogspot.nl/2008/05/ ... -andr.html
Since it's out of date, I tried to write him directly, but the e-mail he left at Napoleon-series didn't work any more.
Fortunately the material Andre Dellevoet used is shared by Erwin Muilwijk, Ronald Pawly and Pierre de Wit, whose works are still in store or can be accessed from the web.

Cowards at Waterloo? A Re-examination of Bijlandt's Dutch-Belgian Brigade in the Campaign of 1815 by Andre Dellevoet from Napoleon Journal #16 is a gem of his study, highly recommended.
Hope

Postby Digby » January 28th, 2017, 7:10 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I have pm'd John Frankln to ask what he can offer me.
I wonder if he should look at the Print on demand model that Erwin Muilwijk used for his 3 books on the Netherlanders. The company is called Lulu.

Yes I too found the de.cavalerie site and the email address, I even found a page where you could buy the book with Paypal, but when I emailed them to confirm that, I did not get a reply.

Yes I have all 3 of Muilwijk's books and they are beautiful. I take what you mean about Delloveot's content being in them. But the reviews of the book seem so good and the illustrations and maps sound good. So I will keep looking for it.
As I said there are 3 copies on Amazon but at prices from 250 to 5000 Euro. That seems a little high. But in ten years......

Yes Pierre de Wit's site is amazing.
I have never heard of Ronald Pawly so I will check it out.
And that article by Dellevoet sounds interesting.
Digby

Postby Hope » January 29th, 2017, 2:12 am

Ronald Pawly is the author of many Osprey titles, including Wellington's Belgian Allies 1815 and Wellington's Dutch Allies 1815, of which Andre Dellevoet is one of the contributors.
Napoleon Journal #16 along with the full set of Napoleon journals are still available from the publisher Dana Lombardy physically or on a DVD.
http://www.napoleon-journal.com/
Since I live in a place far from the US, I purchased them digitally at a very reasonable price. It's a pity Napoleon journal didn't make its way, as well as First Empire magazine.
Hope

Postby Digby » January 29th, 2017, 4:56 am

Thanks I have put those two books on the Dutch - Belgian allies on my wanted list. (its back up to 43 books - at one per week it will take me all of 2017.) Unless I win Lotto.

Yes I had a look at the Napoleon Journal website and some of the magazines look very professional

In my first career as a Napoleonic fan I bought many of the Empires Eagles and Lions magazines and most of the Journals of the Napoleonic Association. (I still have them)

It is sad that many or most of these magazines seem to fold, but I suppose that in today's world of the internet, printed magazines are just not viable.

We cannot spend all of our time and money on the internet and expect people to still be able to produce magazines with a subscription base of 100 people.
Digby

Postby Digby » March 12th, 2017, 6:50 am

Good news!

I ordered Andre Dellevoet's book on the Dutch-Belgian cavalry from the website listed above by Hope and I am pleased to say that the book arrived all the way from Europe to New Zealand, yesterday. The url is http://decavalerie.blogspot.co.nz/2008/ ... -andr.html

The site looks like its dead, and their name is confusing as they seem to be an online book producer of mostly love or drama novels.
But I paid by Paypal via their on screen option, and the book arrived very well packaged.

It is a truly lovely book, nice hard covers and beautiful illustrations.

The name of the of the guy that runs the website is Leen Dewil and his email is leen@there.be
Digby

Return to Napoleonic Militaria for Sale or Wanted