Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

A question about Austrians in 1796

For all discussions relating to the French Revolutionary Wars of 1792 to 1797.

A question about Austrians in 1796

Postby WuTian » July 8th, 2017, 11:07 am

In David Hollins' Austrian Grenadiers And Infantry 1788-1816, there exists an interesting paragraph in page 26,
Embarking on the 1796 German campaign, the army lacked 69,127 pairs of trousers, 267,228 pairs of underpants, 337,337 shirts, 49,014 pairs of gaiters, 14,313 pairs of shoes and 30-40,000 greatcoats. At Emmingden 3,000 troops fought barefoot; many lacked trousers and gaiters.

A vivid description for the Austrian soldiers. However, since the Osprey books do not provide the space for endnotes. Could DaveH kindly give the source for this information?
PS: Was Emmingden another name of Emmendiengen?

Best Regards,
Wu Tian
WuTian

Re: A question about Austrians in 1796

Postby DaveH » July 28th, 2017, 2:31 pm

Hello, My apologies for the delay, but I am moving house at the moment!

Yes, this is the battle of Emmendingen over 19/20 October 179, but spellings change a lot in this period.

I don't have access to my notes at the moment, but the material certainly came from two separate refs - the one on the state of the army supplies is probably Wrede or Angeli's "Erzherzog Carl als Feldherr". The item on the Grenzer is probably Vanicek, Fr.: Specialgeschichte der Militärgrenze, but (with the benefit of 20 years reading!) I think this may be a misinterpretation of an official report. Rather than not having these uniform items at the battle, it is more likely that they were not in regulation kit - boots, breeches, gaiters, but in simple full-length trousers and Opanken (the simple leather soft-soled shoes). there were lots of complaints from senior officers at the time that the Grenzer were not real troops in proper kit and they were quite happy to wear more informal Balkan kit.

I hope that helps for now, Dave H
DaveH

Postby WuTian » July 30th, 2017, 7:15 pm

DaveH wrote:Hello, My apologies for the delay, but I am moving house at the moment!

Yes, this is the battle of Emmendingen over 19/20 October 179, but spellings change a lot in this period.

I don't have access to my notes at the moment, but the material certainly came from two separate refs - the one on the state of the army supplies is probably Wrede or Angeli's "Erzherzog Carl als Feldherr". The item on the Grenzer is probably Vanicek, Fr.: Specialgeschichte der Militärgrenze, but (with the benefit of 20 years reading!) I think this may be a misinterpretation of an official report. Rather than not having these uniform items at the battle, it is more likely that they were not in regulation kit - boots, breeches, gaiters, but in simple full-length trousers and Opanken (the simple leather soft-soled shoes). there were lots of complaints from senior officers at the time that the Grenzer were not real troops in proper kit and they were quite happy to wear more informal Balkan kit.

I hope that helps for now, Dave H

Thanks, Dave!
Following your advice, I found this in Angeli:
Es fehlten 69.127 Tuchhosen, 267.228 Gattien, 337.337 Hemden, 49.014 Paar Gamaschen, 14.313 Paar Schuhe, ferner 30-40.000 Rokelors, derenAnschaffung angeordnet wurde. Erzherzogin Maria Christine spendete im Juni derArmee Erzherzog Carls nebst anderen Ausrüstungssorten 6600 Leibel für deuscheund ungarische Infanterie. (K. A.)

Erzherzog Carl von Österreich als Feldherr und Heeresorganisator, 1. Band, 1. Hälfte, S. 27.

I'm waiting for the good news about the 3,000 barefoot men (or indeed men without regulation shoes) in Emmendingen. :D
WuTian

Postby walrus » October 9th, 2017, 3:35 am

At least they had something to wear then !
walrus

Postby DaveH » October 10th, 2017, 7:25 pm

It's not Vanicek, although his wok is on google books https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=8q9 ... 96&f=false
DaveH

Return to War of the First Coalition 1792-1797