Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

And so it is Christmas!

For anything else of relevance to the Napoleonic Wars but not covered by the topics above.

And so it is Christmas!

Postby Josh&Historyland » December 23rd, 2017, 10:26 am

''Tis the season ladies and gentlemen! May I take this opportunity to wish you all the best of the season, you must all share if you get anything Napoleonic!

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Re: And so it is Christmas!

Postby Senarmont198 » December 23rd, 2017, 12:11 pm

And the same to you, Josh, and all of the other members of the forum.
Senarmont198

Postby OXFORDMON » December 23rd, 2017, 4:25 pm

Compliments of the season to you and all members.

Andy
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby Digby » December 23rd, 2017, 6:43 pm

Yes and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from New Zealand.
Digby

Postby jf42 » December 24th, 2017, 6:11 pm

" [1794] Thursday, Dec 25. (Christmas Day)

This was one of the coldest days ever known in this country, though rendered one of the most agreeable to the troops by the arrival of a quantity of the flannel clothing in camp, which was immediately distributed amongst the soldiers, to their great satisfaction and comfort, who on this occasion, and in honour of the day, were allowed a week's pay to drink to the health of their fair benefactress at home, and to provide as comfortable a Christmas dinner as the present situation would admit of, and the camp this evening exhibited a scene of festivity, truly expressive of the British character; and it was really an entertaining sight to go in to the huts and see a group of soldiers round their fire, surrounded by arms and accoutrements and half obscured by smoke, drinking to the health of their friends at home out of a large camp kettle, filled with a composition of gin, beer, and sugar, made hot; and passing round the song and the toast with as much glee and regularity, as though they had been seated round the table of the happiest Christmas party in England.

A Journal Kept in the British Army from the Landing of the Troops under the Command of Earl Moira, at Ostend, in June 1794, to their Return to England the Following Year, London 1796. (p. 126)

Wishing you all sufficient flannel and much toddy.
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Postby PaulD » December 25th, 2017, 7:41 am

Contemporary images of the 'stylish' flannel clothing provided by charitable donations - the government was too mean:

https://repository.library.brown.edu/st ... dr:234128/

https://repository.library.brown.edu/st ... dr:232689/

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all
PaulD

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » December 25th, 2017, 3:43 pm

A very Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy 2018 to all NWF members.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby Andrew » December 30th, 2017, 5:45 pm

Josh&Historyland wrote:''Tis the season ladies and gentlemen! May I take this opportunity to wish you all the best of the season, you must all share if you get anything Napoleonic! Josh.

At my age, I tend to order and pay for my own presents and then hand them to the unfortunate and ever-suffering Mandy who then wraps them up and hands them back to me on Christmas morning!!

I was un-surprised to receive George Six's (Dictionnaire Biographique des Generaux et Amiraux Francais de la Revolution et de l'empire) Biographical Dictionary of the French Generals and Admirals of the Revolution and Empire (in two volumes).

Also (and actually more exciting (it's an age thing!)) Campagne de 1814, les Corps d'Observation d'Oudinot et de Victor du 9 au 15 Fevrier, (Paris: Librairie Chapelot, 1919), written by Capitaine Jacomet, in half-leather. One of those books that's just a joy to handle!

My sister has also pre-ordered for me, Paul Dawson's Waterloo, the Truth at Last, which I see is now to be finally published on 31 Jan. I hope I'm not going to be disappointed.

Andrew :ugeek:
Andrew
Honorary Academic Advisor

Return to Other Napoleonic Wars Chat